Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian citizens marrying in US

Hi,

Can two indian citizens in US(in H1B visa) marry in US(California). Do they have to get married in Indian Consulate as per Foreign marriage act of India? Someone told me they can just marry in the city hall of California. If so , will that marriage certificate be valid in India? Or should they register again in an Indian Registrar office .Also I would like to know whether that certificate will be enough to add spouse's name in passport.

Thanks,
    Diya

You can freely marry at city hall in any town in California. I think you need to take it to the Indian consulate to get it on your passport. You might need the California Secretary of State to attach an apostille. The marriage certificate will be proof for any official use, in India or anywhere else.

Comment

Hi,
      I got the marriage license from the county and I will be getting married here in California pretty soon.After receiving my marriage certificate (issued by County) , Can I take it to the Indian Consulate and get my spouse's name added in my passport?Also is there anyway I can register my marriage in India at the Indian consulate ? Some people say that I dont have to register in india and the certificate given by the county/city hall in US is good enough but I am still a little skeptical , since we are not US citizens and I want my marriage to be in records in India. Is there a way to do that ?

Regards,
      Diya

Comment

A marriage is only recorded in India if it takes place there. This is the rule for marriage everywhere. Telling the consulate that you're married is enough proof for now. If you move to India, or need something one in India, you can show your marriage certificate then. You must, of course, update individual entities in India, such as banks, about your new status.

Comment

Am not sure about Indian consulate in US but in Indian passport Seva Kendra they do not entertain this marriage certificate. I registered my marriage in both US and India. I had to use my Indian registration to get the change done in passport. I don't think the Indian consulate in US will accept an American registration. I used my US registration for adding my wife as dependent.

Comment

Marriage Rigistration

Originally posted by DiyaSharma View Post
            Hi,
            I got the marriage license from the county and I will be getting married here in California pretty soon.After receiving my marriage certificate (issued by County) , Can I take it to the Indian Consulate and get my spouse's name added in my passport?Also is there anyway I can register my marriage in India at the Indian consulate ? Some people say that I dont have to register in india and the certificate given by the county/city hall in US is good enough but I am still a little skeptical , since we are not US citizens and I want my marriage to be in records in India. Is there a way to do that ?

Regards,
            Diya
            Hi Diya,

Did you guys get married and did you get the marriage registered and get your spouse added to your passport?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X