Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding obtaining NORI for J1 visa waiver from India

Hello,

I am on J1 visa and am subject to the 2-year home-stay rule. I initiated the process of obtaining NORI for the waiver of my J1 visa’s 2-year home stay rule in December 2014. After getting the my documents (One form with personal details and an Affidavit stating that I do not have any obligation to return to India) attested by the Consulate General of India, New York (CGI, NY), I sent those documents to three offices in India, as per the instructions available at the CGI, NY website –

1). The Passport Office in Bangalore, Karnataka, where my passport was issued
    2). The Home Department of the Government of Karnataka, the state where I have my Permanent Address (also my passport mentions Bangalore as my place of residence)
    3). The Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi

While my application is being processed at the Passport Office and the Ministry in New Delhi, the Home Department of Karnataka has refused to issue me NORI, saying that my application mentions my next-of-kin’s address in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. They have asked me to send my application to the Home Department of Andhra Pradesh government.

My query is whether my application to obtain NORI should be processed by the Karnataka or the Andhra Pradesh government. I have listed my permanent address as being in Karnataka, while my next-of-kin (my mother) lives in Andhra Pradesh. Where should I send my application?

Second problem is that my mother is now in USA for the time being and so no one is there at the Hyderabad address right now, if any official should arrive for verification. My permanent address, on the other hand, is that of my in-laws, who could verify for me. Is there any way, I can request the Karnataka Home department to consider my permanent address and proceed and not make me send my application to Andhra Pradesh?

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Kavitha RS

Update

Have you had any progress in this? What address did you use for the Karnataka Home Ministry to send your documents? It is not very clear.

Comment

I am in a similar situtation so , which state did you get your NORI from?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X