Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting NORI for J1 visa waiver from Home Department of state you belong to

Hello,

I am on J1 visa and am subject to the 2-year home-stay rule. I initiated the process of obtaining NORI for the waiver of my J1 visa’s 2-year home stay rule in December 2014. After getting the my documents (One form with personal details and an Affidavit stating that I do not have any obligation to return to India) attested by the Consulate General of India, New York (CGI, NY), I sent those documents to three offices in India, as per the instructions available at the CGI, NY website –

1). The Passport Office in Bangalore, Karnataka, where my passport was issued
    2). The Home Department of the Government of Karnataka, the state where I have my Permanent Address (also my passport mentions Bangalore as my place of residence)
    3). The Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi

While my application is being processed at the Passport Office and the Ministry in New Delhi, the Home Department of Karnataka has refused to issue me NORI, saying that my application mentions my next-of-kin’s address in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. They have asked me to send my application to the Home Department of Andhra Pradesh government.

My query is whether my application to obtain NORI should be processed by the Karnataka or the Andhra Pradesh government. I have listed my permanent address as being in Karnataka, while my next-of-kin (my mother) lives in Andhra Pradesh. Where should I send my application?

Second problem is that my mother is now in USA for the time being and so no one is there at the Hyderabad address right now, if any official should arrive for verification. My permanent address, on the other hand, is that of my in-laws, who could verify for me. Is there any way, I can request the Karnataka Home department to consider my permanent address and proceed and not make me send my application to Andhra Pradesh?

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Kavitha RS

Hi

We are starting the NORI process for my wife and we are worried that we would face the same situation. While we belong to Telangana, We stayed temporarily in Karnataka for few years and got our new passport in Karnataka which we used to get to US. So, the NY Indian consulate mentioned that we have to get NORI waiver from Bangalore passport office. However, we are not sure if we have to send the application to Karnataka Home department or Telangana Home department.

Kindly share if you finally had to get the NORI from AP Home department or Karnataka.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Kavitha RS View Post
    Hello,

I am on J1 visa and am subject to the 2-year home-stay rule. I initiated the process of obtaining NORI for the waiver of my J1 visa’s 2-year home stay rule in December 2014. After getting the my documents (One form with personal details and an Affidavit stating that I do not have any obligation to return to India) attested by the Consulate General of India, New York (CGI, NY), I sent those documents to three offices in India, as per the instructions available at the CGI, NY website –

1). The Passport Office in Bangalore, Karnataka, where my passport was issued
    2). The Home Department of the Government of Karnataka, the state where I have my Permanent Address (also my passport mentions Bangalore as my place of residence)
    3). The Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi

While my application is being processed at the Passport Office and the Ministry in New Delhi, the Home Department of Karnataka has refused to issue me NORI, saying that my application mentions my next-of-kin’s address in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. They have asked me to send my application to the Home Department of Andhra Pradesh government.

My query is whether my application to obtain NORI should be processed by the Karnataka or the Andhra Pradesh government. I have listed my permanent address as being in Karnataka, while my next-of-kin (my mother) lives in Andhra Pradesh. Where should I send my application?

Second problem is that my mother is now in USA for the time being and so no one is there at the Hyderabad address right now, if any official should arrive for verification. My permanent address, on the other hand, is that of my in-laws, who could verify for me. Is there any way, I can request the Karnataka Home department to consider my permanent address and proceed and not make me send my application to Andhra Pradesh?

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Kavitha RS

Comment

Same issue-j1 waiver

Hi kavita ,

We are facing the same issue. What happened in your case?
      Did you get NORI from home department andhra or Karnataka? In our case permanent address was of Delhi and next of kin is in Patna . Delhi home department refused for NORI and now Patna home department states that it should be done from Delhi .

Please share your case as it can help us.

Thanks,
      Payal

Comment

Hi Payal,

I am in a similar situation. So, which state did you finally get your NORI from?

Originally posted by Payal1982 View Post
        Hi kavita ,

We are facing the same issue. What happened in your case?
        Did you get NORI from home department andhra or Karnataka? In our case permanent address was of Delhi and next of kin is in Patna . Delhi home department refused for NORI and now Patna home department states that it should be done from Delhi .

Please share your case as it can help us.

Thanks,
        Payal

Comment

J1-nori

Originally posted by ss1984 View Post
          Hi Payal,

I am in a similar situation. So, which state did you finally get your NORI from?
          Hi,

We finally got it from Patna home department. My father in law went there for almost 2-3 months daily to get it done.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Payal,

Thanks for your response. This brings me to another question: did you belong to the state of Bihar?

Hi,

We finally got it from Patna home department. My father in law went there for almost 2-3 months daily to get it done.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ss1984 View Post
              Hi Payal,

Thanks for your response. This brings me to another question: did you belong to the state of Bihar?
              Yes but we never stayed in patna, we stayed in Delhi. Its just that parents were staying there and for home department NORI they asked for next of kin information. As soon as they saw next of kin stays in patna, home department Delhi refused to give NORI stating that we will get NORI from patna.

Comment

Thanks Payal, this information has been very helpful.

Yes but we never stayed in patna, we stayed in Delhi. Its just that parents were staying there and for home department NORI they asked for next of kin information. As soon as they saw next of kin stays in patna, home department Delhi refused to give NORI stating that we will get NORI from patna.

Comment

Hi Payal,

I assume you had your passport issued from Delhi, was there any police enquiry from Delhi for issuing the NOC for NORI.
                  My situation is for the home department I have submitted my documents to Maharashtra, for which the police enquiry was done few weeks back. I am wondering if there would be any police enquiry for the passport, which is from the state of UP, documents submitted at RPO Lucknow.

Thanks

Comment

I am looking for the office address of home department of Bihar government??

Hi,

Thanks!
                    Dear Payal

I am really unable to find the address of concerned office where I have to send the nori application. I am a post doctoral fellow at Hopkins and has been out of my state since last 20 years, so I dint have any contact left there in Patna.
                    Please help at the earliest.

thank you

Alok

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X