Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to convert B1-b2 visa into F1

Hello All,

I am here on B1-B2 Visa and i was here to attend a educational seminar and now i am thinking to pursue my masters here in usa. I don't know how to proceed further and there is no information about converting visa. Could you please throw some light on my questions.

1 How to apply for for F1?

2 Do i need lawyer for the same?

3 Do i need to go to embassy again?

Originally posted by vickychawla View Post
    Hello All,

I am here on B1-B2 Visa and i was here to attend a educational seminar and now i am thinking to pursue my masters here in usa. I don't know how to proceed further and there is no information about converting visa. Could you please throw some light on my questions.

1 How to apply for for F1?

2 Do i need lawyer for the same?

3 Do i need to go to embassy again?
    Hello, Vickychawla.

There are certain papers to be filled for applying for F1 visa. Change of Status (COS) from B1/B2 to F1 is permitted but be very careful while applying. You will need to go to a University and enroll for a course. The University will go through your papers (Your visa status in USA, and past education record). If they are ok accepting you, you will be issued an I-20 Form.

You will need to fill up the COS form, pay the Sevis Fee, Show enough bank balance (if you are self funding the education) and a couple other documents. Please be careful that you do not cross your B2 I94 timeline. Universities will tell you anything, but your status in USA is defined by your B2 I94. Do not stay beyond I94 date in USA.

You can do all the filing while being in the USA. While you can do the paperwork by yourself, it generally helps if you have an Immigration Lawyer. Their fee is atrocious and sometimes it will feel unfair, but if you can manage the paperwork by going online and doing the research, you will be able to file for this. There is plenty of information available online for filing for F1 Visa from B1/B2.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X