No announcement yet.

Re-enter with Temporary I-551

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's proof of Permanent Resident status, albeit "conditional." The answer is "yes."

-Ray B

Originally posted by maksummerich View Post
    But can I use this to enroll in schools and to get a job?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You can get an extension to your temporary I-551 status stamp by going to a USCIS office after getting an INFOPASS appointment.

-Ray B
      It's proof of Permanent Resident status, albeit "conditional." The answer is "yes."

-Ray B
      Thank you so much

Comment

Expiring passport! validity less than 6 months

Hi guys,
        I did enter USA in 21 December 2015
        and am planning to reenter to US next November
        My passport expire by 25 December 2016
        So I Wonder if 6 months rules will apply on DV winner? also my I 551 stamps will expire in 21st December 2016 and I didn't receive my green card yet
        Can I travel back using my expiring passport in case I didn't receive my GC till November
        Or should I renew the passport and get back to US embassy in Doha where my DV Visa was issued
        Please advice! !

Comment

Travelling while waiting for renewed physical GC

My 2 year conditional GC expired in September 2015 and I had applied for renewal in July 2015. I got the one year extension letter. I am assuming that the one year extension is till September 2016 (date on GC) and not one year from my extension application (July 2016). Can anyone please confirm.
          I have traveled outside US with expired GC and extension letter and did not have any issues. I got the letter from USCIS that my extension was approved (few days back) but I haven't received the renewed card yet.
          I have to travel to Europe this week. Since my 1 year letter hasn't expired, can I travel with the letter (1 year extn) and expired GC? I am assuming I cannot get a i551 stamp since my letter hasn't expired. Please confirm.

Comment

I also have a question, I arrived here in USA last August 2014 and now its April 2015 but have not received my green card yet, I only have the temporary I-55A in my passport which is valid for 1 year and my visa expired last November 2014 (permanent resident). I paid the fee and my temporary I-55A is going to expire this August. Even if I only have an I-55A will I be able to work here in USA and will I be able to use this to enroll in schools? What should I do when my temporary identification expires?

Comment

Travelling while awaiting green card arrival for first time

Hi all

I recently got AOS 485 approved for IR6 category. I have not received my green card yet however online status says green card is being produced. USCIS office gave me a temporary i-551 stamp to travel outside the US while the card arrives. I do not have any machine readable immigrant visa. Has anyone traveled with temporary I-551 stamp outside the US, did you have any issues with reentry?

I have read threads here for people with expired GC and extension letter with temporary i-551 however my situation is slightly different.

You can get an extension to your temporary I-551 status stamp by going to a USCIS office after getting an INFOPASS appointment.

-Ray B

Comment

need help

hi i just have received letter for residential status for extended for one year but my green card expire in may 2017. i want to travel India for few months. is it ok to go with extension letter and expire green card? is it going to create any problem when i m coming back or entering in USA ?

Comment

Reenter to US with soon to expire green card

Can some one help me if I can enter to US with soon to expire green card. I plan to return to US 10 days before the expiration date of my green card!

Comment

How long have you been out of the U.S.? If a year or more, without a Reentry Permit, you may have a problem when trying to reenter.

--Ray B

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Can some one help me if I can enter to US with soon to expire green card. I plan to return to US 10 days before the expiration date of my green card!

Comment

Traveling after gotten approve with a temporary I-551 stamp (F4 visa greencard)

Hi guys,

I just gotten my I-511 stamp (May 11, 2017) no plastic green card.
                      My mom is the primary person for this process.
                      I have planned to go on vacation way before this and it will be held on May 23rd 2017 till June 6th, 2017 going to Los Angeles.
                      My question is, do I travel with the sealed package and my mom's sealed package to the states?
                      After that can I travel back to Curacao (in the caribbean) on June 6, 2017 (14 days)? Then re-enter the states in end of September with just my I-551 stamp?

Comment

Originally posted by nejishini View Post
                        Hi guys,

I just gotten my I-511 stamp (May 11, 2017) no plastic green card.
                        My mom is the primary person for this process.
                        I have planned to go on vacation way before this and it will be held on May 23rd 2017 till June 6th, 2017 going to Los Angeles.
                        My question is, do I travel with the sealed package and my mom's sealed package to the states?
                        After that can I travel back to Curacao (in the caribbean) on June 6, 2017 (14 days)? Then re-enter the states in end of September with just my I-551 stamp?
                        It sounds like you do NOT have an I-551 stamp -- what you probably have is an immigrant visa. You do not become a permanent resident until you enter the US with the immigrant visa, and I-551 is proof of permanent residency, which you cannot have until you become a permanent resident. You say that you have a "sealed package" which you would only have if you haven't entered the US with the immigrant visa yet, because they take it when you enter.

The immigrant visa says on it "upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year". That does not mean that the immigrant visa is an I-551. Rather, when you enter the US with the immigrant visa, the immigrant visa upon being stamped ("endorsed") on entry, turns into an I-551 valid for one year from that day. So you do not have an I-551 until you enter. (And technically, this would not be an "I-551 stamp", which is a standalone ink stamp; rather, this would just be an immigrant visa that serves as an I-551.)

Once you enter the US with the immigrant visa, you automatically become a permanent resident, and as a permanent resident, you can take temporary trips abroad, immediately if you want. The I-551 that your immigrant visa turned into is evidence of permanent residency. Note that a plastic green card is also just an I-551. Different forms of I-551s are equivalent.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X