Re-enter with Temporary I-551

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-enter with Temporary I-551

I enter USA last December 2013 and until now (Feb 2014) I haven't received my green card yet. My family were planning to travel outside the US this coming March and i'm not sure if i will have the greencard on hand by that time. My question is can i re-enter US with temporary I-551 stamped on my passport?
    And my another concern is if yes, I enter here with the category F2A which is unmarried child under 21, I'm currently 20 y/o right now and on march i'll be turning 21. Will there be any problem as I re-enter with my temporary I-551 with category written F2A, yet I'm already 21 by that time? My family is just worried that I will not be able to come back if I don't have my actual green card if I left. Thankyou for your answers!

Your I-551 annotation in your passport is proof of Permanent Resident status for one year, pending receipt of your Green Card. It will allow you to reenter the U.S. after travelling abroad.

--Ray B

Originally posted by sephris View Post
    I enter USA last December 2013 and until now (Feb 2014) I haven't received my green card yet. My family were planning to travel outside the US this coming March and i'm not sure if i will have the greencard on hand by that time. My question is can i re-enter US with temporary I-551 stamped on my passport?
    And my another concern is if yes, I enter here with the category F2A which is unmarried child under 21, I'm currently 20 y/o right now and on march i'll be turning 21. Will there be any problem as I re-enter with my temporary I-551 with category written F2A, yet I'm already 21 by that time? My family is just worried that I will not be able to come back if I don't have my actual green card if I left. Thankyou for your answers!

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Your I-551 annotation in your passport is proof of Permanent Resident status for one year, pending receipt of your Green Card. It will allow you to reenter the U.S. after travelling abroad.

--Ray B
      Thankyou for your response!

But will there be any issues regarding my age? I just really wanted to make it sure because I really need to travel.

Comment

your age is fine. You're old enough to travel.

--Ray B

Originally posted by sephris View Post
        Thankyou for your response!

But will there be any issues regarding my age? I just really wanted to make it sure because I really need to travel.

Comment

Question

your age is fine. You're old enough to travel.

--Ray B
          Sorry to middle in this discussion, but I do have some doubts about the I 551. First when I got the stamp I thought it was **** cause it doesn't seem legit but for what I have researched is that it is.

Now, I'm outside the U.S and I planning to traveling back, for what I read I won't have any issue going through customs or anything but:
          -Would I have any issue with the airlines that they would recognize the stamp?
          -Would I have to show some other document besides the stamp? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Your I-551 stamp is proof of Permanent Resident status, pending receipt of the Green Card. Out of curiosity, however, why are you travelling with an I-551 as only proof of status? Where is your Green Card?

Having asked that question, it is possible that reentry to the U.S. will garner close scrutiny by immigration staff, but airline boarding abroad could be the greatest delay in recognizing the I-551. Even the I-751 temporary one-year extension on the I-751 receipt caused some serious delay problems at Manila when travelers were using that in lieu of a 10-year Green Card (which had not yet arrived) when USCIS started issuing the one-year extensions. One such incident resulted in a refusal to board, and several days delay until the U.S. Embassy provided confirmation that the I-751 extension clause in its receipt was proof of continuation of Conditional Green Card status.

But to add irony to this discussion, when the I-751 one-year extension ends without a 10-year Green Card, another one-year extension can be obtained in the form of an I-551 stamp in the passport, which will then allow continued work and travel approval.

--Ray B

Originally posted by traveler7777 View Post
            Sorry to middle in this discussion, but I do have some doubts about the I 551. First when I got the stamp I thought it was **** cause it doesn't seem legit but for what I have researched is that it is.

Now, I'm outside the U.S and I planning to traveling back, for what I read I won't have any issue going through customs or anything but:
            -Would I have any issue with the airlines that they would recognize the stamp?
            -Would I have to show some other document besides the stamp? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Help obtaining I 551 stamp while I751 in process, NOA with 1 year extension in hand

Help obtaining I 551 stamp while I751 in process, NOA with 1 year extension in hand and valid, but want to be safe so when returning, no issue at Airport immigration or check in counter.

Can any one share experience on obtaining an I-551 stamp. Like what documents to take with me to InfoPass..
              i am concerned because I have to take off from work and drive 3 hours to nearest USCIS center (CHICAGO) and want to be sure trip is worth it.

Thanks

Comment

Your I-751 NOA witih one-year extension is all you need, combined with expired Green Card. You don't need an I-551 annotation in your passport until your one-year extension expires and the 10-year card hasn't shown up yet.

--Ray B

Originally posted by mhmir1 View Post
                Help obtaining I 551 stamp while I751 in process, NOA with 1 year extension in hand and valid, but want to be safe so when returning, no issue at Airport immigration or check in counter.

Can any one share experience on obtaining an I-551 stamp. Like what documents to take with me to InfoPass..
                i am concerned because I have to take off from work and drive 3 hours to nearest USCIS center (CHICAGO) and want to be sure trip is worth it.

Thanks

Comment

No plastic greencard

Hi Team,

Hope you can give me an advise.
                  I was petitioned under F4 visa as a derivative son of the principal and entered in chicago last 19 Nov 2014.
                  Is it okay if I go back to the Philippines and to marry my girlfriend and re enter to US without the physical greencard.
                  Will there be any issues? I am planing to stay in the Phil for only 10 days

Comment

The I-551 stamp in your passport will allow you to reenter the U.S., but the actual Green Card is always better.

--Ray B

Originally posted by blue_1826 View Post
                    Hi Team,

Hope you can give me an advise.
                    I was petitioned under F4 visa as a derivative son of the principal and entered in chicago last 19 Nov 2014.
                    Is it okay if I go back to the Philippines and to marry my girlfriend and re enter to US without the physical greencard.
                    Will there be any issues? I am planing to stay in the Phil for only 10 days

Comment

--Ray B
                      Wow thank you for this!

Will just share my case though. I just arrived here in the U.S. last December 4, 2014 and still waiting for the plastic card. I am petitioned by a US immigrant though I cant remember what case(some able to work case.. err). My brother will get married this March 15 and I'll be the best man so I am quite anxious if I would be able to get home for at least for 3-4 days. My Visa has that temporary I-551 stamp for 1 year too. Regardless of the VISA expiration date, I could still re-enter the U.S. right?

Comment

Your I-551 stamp will allow you to reenter the U.S.

--Ray B

Comment

Travel with Immigrant Visa

Your I-751 NOA witih one-year extension is all you need, combined with expired Green Card. You don't need an I-551 annotation in your passport until your one-year extension expires and the 10-year card hasn't shown up yet.

--Ray B
                          Hoping you can provide some guidance for me.
                          I arrived on 12/25/14 with an Immigrant Visa (Spouse is an US Citizen). Visa Details: IV Issue Date: 16DEC2014, IV Expires On: 21MAY2015.
                          There is an Annotation on the VISA "UPON ENDORESEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

I am scheduled to travel to India on April 18th and returning on May 17 (arriving on May 18).
                          Will be there be any issues boarding the return flight from India on May 17?
                          Will there be any issues at the immigration in USA?
                          What does "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I551 ...." mean? Should I get it endorsed?

Thank you in advance for sharing any info/experience.

Comment

Pay the $165 fee and get your Green Card, and you won't have to rely on the I-551 stamp.

--Ray B

Originally posted by rpenmetc View Post
                            Hoping you can provide some guidance for me.
                            I arrived on 12/25/14 with an Immigrant Visa (Spouse is an US Citizen). Visa Details: IV Issue Date: 16DEC2014, IV Expires On: 21MAY2015.
                            There is an Annotation on the VISA "UPON ENDORESEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

I am scheduled to travel to India on April 18th and returning on May 17 (arriving on May 18).
                            Will be there be any issues boarding the return flight from India on May 17?
                            Will there be any issues at the immigration in USA?
                            What does "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I551 ...." mean? Should I get it endorsed?

Thank you in advance for sharing any info/experience.

Comment

Travel with Immigrant Visa

Pay the $165 fee and get your Green Card, and you won't have to rely on the I-551 stamp.

--Ray B
                              Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I did pay $165 fee on Dec 20. Not sure when I will get it. What is the normal timeframe to get the green card after paying the fee?
                              I was asking those questions in case I don't get the greencard before my travel. What do I do in that case? I-551 should work?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X