SSN surrendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN surrendar

While in US I had converted my citibank Suvidha account to NRO account for which probably they took my SSN. When I returned to india for good and I converted NRO account to Suvidha. I already had investment account opened before I left for US and had made some investments. After coming back I tried to invest more but their system does not allow, when I checked with bank they say they have my SSN linked to my account so they cannot make any investment. They say I need to surrender the SSN and give them some kind of proof that SSN is surrendered. Do I need to surrender my SSN or should I close this account.

SSN is not a bank account that you close. SSN is not a physical property that you surrender. Once SSN is assigned to you, it is yours lifetime.

What you need to explain to your bank is that you are not resident of India and I assume that you are not filing any US tax returns. And show the proof of your residence duration, travel dates and prove that you are resident of India. And you are not US citizen and you are not green card holder. Therefore, you are eligible to do financial transactions that Indian residents who are not US citizens/GC holders can do.

I know that Citibank is particularly painful in dealing with various matters and adamant about many things and give unnecessary hard time.

If it does not work, go to some other desi bank.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X