Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transit through UK - Transit without visa concession - Meeting up a friend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transit through UK - Transit without visa concession - Meeting up a friend.

Hi,

I have an Indian Passport and have Canadian PR Card. I want to visit India and booked tickets from Toronto to Mumbai via London. There is a wait time for about 8 hrs 30 min in London. I would be landing and departing for the same airport, but different terminals.

However I have the following question. One of my friend is in London. During the wait time, can I request my friend to come to the airport? Can I meet him up either in the airport or at a nearby restaurant? Or can I visit his house which is just about half hour away from the airport? Is the transit without visa concession is applicable in this case as I'm not changing airports? Does anyone have such prior experiences?

Thank you.

TWOV concession

I am a Bangladeshi citizen and Canadian Pr card holder and I have done this on two occassions. The first was a 20 hour layover for which I got a hotel booked, on my own though. The second was a three hour stop. The officer asked me why I wanted to enter the UK, my response to that was ''just to get some fresh air''. He asked me why I didn't have a visa, I said that according to my knowledge I didn't need one. He said it's a concession and not a right. Also he asked me if I had friends or family in London and whether I'll be meeting them. I said I had friends living far away from the airport and since I only had 2-3 hours in hand, I didn't ask them to come over. Finally he asked me where exactly I'll be going to in London. I said I'll just be walking nearby the airport and not go too far since my stop was only for 3 hours. Then he stamped my passport with a 24 hour entry permit and I was on my way. Note that through out the whole questioning process it never seemed that he was going to refuse me entry. Based on my experience, just be honest and entry shouldn't be a problem. However it's always possible that the officer might be having an off day and things may not work out in your favor. Chances of that happening are less though.

**While approaching an inspector's booth, have your arrival card, Canadian Pr card and onward boarding pass/ticket ready in hand along with your passport of course so that the officer realizes you wish to make a transit using the concession. Good luck with your travel and let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by Shuvojit Ghosh; 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuvojit Ghosh View Post

**While approaching an inspector's booth, have your arrival card, Canadian Pr card and onward boarding pass/ticket ready in hand along with your passport of course so that the officer realizes you wish to make a transit using the concession. Good luck with your travel and let me know how it goes.
      Thank you very much for the information. Could you please tell me what is arrival card?

Comment

EAD Indian passport holder stopping over at London for 3 nights - HELP on UK VISA

Indian passport holder on EAD planning to stop over at London on the way back to India.
        Have onward and return tickets . Hotel booking . STOPPING FOR 3 NIGHTS.

WHAT TYPE OF VISA IS REQUIRED . TRANSIT /VISIT ?? CONFUSED ON CHECKING UKBA SITES.

HOW LONG IT TAKES IF I APPLY IN NEW YORK.

PLEASE PROVIDE INFORMATION.

Comment

Originally posted by Reachmcm View Post
          Indian passport holder on EAD planning to stop over at London on the way back to India.
          Have onward and return tickets . Hotel booking . STOPPING FOR 3 NIGHTS.

WHAT TYPE OF VISA IS REQUIRED . TRANSIT /VISIT ?? CONFUSED ON CHECKING UKBA SITES.

HOW LONG IT TAKES IF I APPLY IN NEW YORK.

PLEASE PROVIDE INFORMATION.
          Hi,

I am in a similar situation.
          I have a Indian passport and EAD planning to stop in London for 4 days on my way to India.
          I plan to apply for 6 months visitor visa and have the following questions

1) Will I have to go in person to the UK embassy in New York (I live in North Carolina)
          2) What is the total cost of 6 months visitor visa fees
          I see 83 pound on their website, but not sure if there are any additional charges like processing fees, etc.
          3) I see we need to take Biometrics at USCIS center
          - how much does this cost
          - how long does it take to get an appointment
          - I plan to call the USCIS office today to see if I can get any information

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The UK embassy does not entertain phone calls and it is difficult to find this information.
          If any one in similar situation has travelled to US, please help.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by karelx
            You will have to attend an appointment in order to submit your supporting documents and also in order to have your biometrics taken.

First of all, you have to go to this gov. site in order to fill in the form. https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/
            On the official UK Visas and Immigration website you will find that the link above is the only way how you can start with your application process.

Once you fill in the form online on the link above, you will also during the same process pay the fee online. The fee for the visa category you are going to apply for (General visitor for up to 6 months) is 142 USD. There is no extra cost for submitting your documents and for giving your biometrics.

Registering for an appointment is part of the same process mentioned above. Unless you fill in the form, you wont be able to see the next immediate possible slot for an appointment. (But since the visa application center is outsorced to VFS Global, it shouldnt be longer than a few days.

Dont forget that you must have ALL the documents in order to support your application.
            Dont underestimate it, as I know that people have been refused for really silly reason. (Like the fact that the bank account statement has not been translated!!! p.s. it was in french as they were residing in France at that time)

Although it may sound ,,crazy" but they really try their best to refuse if there is even a formality that has been considered as ,,missing" or non sufficient during the process of your application.

The fact that their website is really difficult to get through (UK Visas and Immigrations) just speaks for itself.....
            Thanks Karlex, I appreciate the detailed reply.
            I started filling the application online and noticed that they were making it very difficult.
            I am trying to make sure I have all the information before purchasing my tickets.

Sorry I have additional question..
            Will I have to go to their office in New York for the Biometrics and provide the supporting documents or to the vfs global office.
            I live in North Carolina, if I have to go to New York then my decision is made - I will change my plans

Thanks.

Comment

query on this reply

Originally posted by Shuvojit Ghosh View Post
              I am a Bangladeshi citizen and Canadian Pr card holder and I have done this on two occassions. The first was a 20 hour layover for which I got a hotel booked, on my own though. The second was a three hour stop. The officer asked me why I wanted to enter the UK, my response to that was ''just to get some fresh air''. He asked me why I didn't have a visa, I said that according to my knowledge I didn't need one. He said it's a concession and not a right. Also he asked me if I had friends or family in London and whether I'll be meeting them. I said I had friends living far away from the airport and since I only had 2-3 hours in hand, I didn't ask them to come over. Finally he asked me where exactly I'll be going to in London. I said I'll just be walking nearby the airport and not go too far since my stop was only for 3 hours. Then he stamped my passport with a 24 hour entry permit and I was on my way. Note that through out the whole questioning process it never seemed that he was going to refuse me entry. Based on my experience, just be honest and entry shouldn't be a problem. However it's always possible that the officer might be having an off day and things may not work out in your favor. Chances of that happening are less though.

hey,
              I am from India and having visa of United states of America than am i falling under transit concession criteria?

Comment

re entry permit

Hi , I m bal. I made a travel document for 2 years for my son.he is in my country and he do have green card . I sent my son on June 03 , 2013 to my country. I m trying to bring him back but unfortunately his travel document was declined due to not payment. We could not pay a fee for that document because we move to other apartment so we couldn't get any mail from uscis.we didn't change the address. Now I m in problem can u give some suggestion how to bring my son back.

Comment

Transit without VISA Concession - Need advice

I am Indian Citizen holding Indian Passport currently staying in Netherlands with a valid NL Residence Permit.

On my way to India from Amsterdam I would like to spend few hours in London.
                  1. I am arriving and departing by air.
                  2. I have confirmed onward flight which leaves within 24Hrs
                  3. I have right documents for the destination country and
                  4. I have a valid uniform format EEA residence permit.

As per this website, I qualify for "Transit without VISA concession" - https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/yes

Has anyone has knowledge about similar situation? Any info on this would be helpful.
                  I will be travelling without UK VISA and I want to make sure I wont run into troubles during last stage.

Thanks,
                  Deepak

Comment

Originally posted by kirankiran View Post
                    Thank you very much for the information. Could you please tell me what is arrival card?
                    Too late I guess but it's the immigration card that you'll be given on the aircraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Puravi View Post
                    hey,
                    I am from India and having visa of United states of America than am i falling under transit concession criteria?
                    Technically, yes but remember it's just a concession. They have the right to refuse you entry.

Comment

Transit without visa - London (Indian national)

Hi All,

I am an Indian national travelling to the US in January 2015 and holding a valid US multiple entry visa. My flight is from Dubai to London Heathrow on Emirates Airline and then from London Gatwick to Orlando US on British Airways. Am I eligible to transit UK / switch airports for my connecting flight under transit without visa concession. I was recently refused a general visit visa to the UK. I have 12 hours waiting period in London. If I am eligible to avail TWOV, what specific documents should I carrry to London.

UK is the only country that has refused my visa application and have travelled throughout Europe very often.

Your feedback will be very much helpful for me.

Thanks,
                      Ismail

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X