No announcement yet.

Job change at the transition from 12-month OPT to 17-month OPT STEM extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job change at the transition from 12-month OPT to 17-month OPT STEM extension

hello,
    I am in a precarious situation. I am currently in the 12-month OPT status, which expires by the end of June. Also my current employer terminates my job on that date (it was an year appointment coinciding with my 12-month OPT period). In most likelihood I will have a new job offer in a month or so. I need to apply for the 17-month OPT STEM extension. The issue is with the field "e-verify number" of employer in the form I-765:
    - Since my appointment with my current employer ends before my 17-month OPT STEM extension will start, my current employer is refusing to give me their e-verify number for the purpose of filing my STEM extension application. Can they refuse on this ground?
    - On the other hand, my degree university (one that issues my I-20) informed me that I cannot mention a future employer's e-verify number in the application for STEM extension, even if I have the job offer by the time I submit my application. Is that correct?

So here is my question: Suppose I have the new job offer in about a month (April, that is), and I immediately apply for the 17-month OPT STEM extension (the new employer being registered with e-verify). Whose e-verify number should I mention in the form I-765? My current employer refuses to give it (although they are registered with e-verify). And apparently I cannot mention the e-verify number of my "future employer" (who I will start working with beginning of July). What should I do?

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X