Abandonment of residency status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandonment of residency status

I am a UK citizen living in Colorado and currently have a green card through marriage and file jointly for tax purposes. I do not work or have an income in the USA. My only income is from my rented house in the UK. I want to return to the UK permanently and get divorced too. If I submit and I-407 and get a divorce is this all I need to do?

You don't have to do anything except stay out of the U.S. for a year or more, and abandonment of U.S. Permanent Resident status becomes an accomplished fact.

Unless you want to "make a statement," completing the form serves no particular purpose.

Without "waving the flag" and singing our anthem, I can still say that you may find later that you made a mistake in giving up U.S. Green Card status. Sooner or later you would be eligible to obtain U.S. citizenship and might find it very convenient to subsequently have dual citizenship.

--Ray B

Originally posted by at1cadmen View Post
    I am a UK citizen living in Colorado and currently have a green card through marriage and file jointly for tax purposes. I do not work or have an income in the USA. My only income is from my rented house in the UK. I want to return to the UK permanently and get divorced too. If I submit and I-407 and get a divorce is this all I need to do?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X