Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using K1, getting SSN, married, honeymoon, depart USA w/o AOS, CR1 six years later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using K1, getting SSN, married, honeymoon, depart USA w/o AOS, CR1 six years later

Our K1 is pending some missing documentation. The consular said the visa will take about two weeks once the required information is provided.

We both live outside the USA. I am the USC. When we goto the USA, If we leave again with no AOS, can we do a CR1 six years down the road.

Bothering to get a green card at this time is not very smart in my opinion. There is only perhaps a 10% chance we might want to ever live in the USA again. Flying back every year to maintain a green card is hardly cheaper than starting over again with a CR1 six years from now. Even one round trip airline ticket costs more than the entire CR1 process.

Anyway, I see no legal reason we have to AOS. An online lawyer told us we are breaking no laws.

The consular suggested that we complete the process, and maintain the green card. We told her we have the forms and will cross that bridge when we come to it.

So why are so many people telling me it is not "smart"? Is the math not pretty obvious?
    Last edited by linuxpro; 03-26-2014, 09:25 AM.

The purpose of the fiancee visa is to act as a bridge to Permanent Resident status in the U.S. By using the fiancee visa to simply bring the young lady to the U.S. to marry, then leave, you've gone to a lot of trouble and expense for a ceremony and quick vacation in the U.S. There's nothing legally wrong with your intention, but to some what you are doing may seem illogical.

Several years later, you can initiate a spousal visa procedure to obtain an IR-1 visa for your wife. Sometime during that process you will likely be asked why she didn't proceed with Adjustment of Status while in the U.S. My response to such a question would be that "we just changed our plans."

--Ray B

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
    Our K1 is pending some missing documentation. The consular said the visa will take about two weeks once the required information is provided.

We both live outside the USA. I am the USC. When we goto the USA, If we leave again with no AOS, can we do a CR1 six years down the road.

Bothering to get a green card at this time is not very smart in my opinion. There is only perhaps a 10% chance we might want to ever live in the USA again. Flying back every year to maintain a green card is hardly cheaper than starting over again with a CR1 six years from now. Even one round trip airline ticket costs more than the entire CR1 process.

Anyway, I see no legal reason we have to AOS. An online lawyer told us we are breaking no laws.

The consular suggested that we complete the process, and maintain the green card. We told her we have the forms and will cross that bridge when we come to it.

So why are so many people telling me it is not "smart"? Is the math not pretty obvious?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X