Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport return delay after immigrant visa interview in Mumbai

Hi,

I noticed several cases with similar experience that is beginning to emerge as a trend these days. May be it is worth paying attention to specially for those who plan their US trip based on their visa interview. My wife had a interview for a family-based green card (F2A) on March 7th at the US consulate in Mumbai. I live in the US while she is in Kolkata (since we got married two years ago. I came down and together we flew to Mumbai for Medical exam and the interview.

At the interview the consular office said that the visa is approved and she should receive it within a week.
    We came back and booked her ticket to the US for the 20th. Unfortunately the passport was not returned within a week. After waiting till the 20th we had to change her ticket and push it back by two weeks not knowing when they will deliver. The US Traveldocs call center folks were not helpful as they could not provide any additional information other than that the documents are with the post.
    I came back to the US alone on the 20th and on the 21st the CEAC case status changed from "Ready" to "Administrative processing"
    Finally on the 24th the case status changed to "Issued" and then today US Traveldocs website showed passport is ready for pickup. My wife went and collected her passport with the visa stamp from the Kolkata OFC today. She plans to come to the US on the 4th of April.

After reading some forums across the web I agree that this is a ridiculous process that is most likely riddled with inefficiency and general incompetence from everyone I dealt with related to the US government. Even AFTER the embassy handed over the passport to the couriers, there was no notification to me that it was ready for pickup and no tracking number.

This kind of thing seems to have happened to more than a few people so please dont rush into making travel plans like I did until you get your passport in hand. It just adds to the stress and anxiety out of anticipation. The immigration process remains cloudy as ever with no clarity provided to the general public about the timeliness of the process. Please use this thread to share your experiences if they are similar.

Thanks

Hello, do you remember how long did you have to wait in Mumbai before you got the doctor's report for the interview?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X