Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-130 petition from outside or within US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 petition from outside or within US?

Hello,

I have a question about moving to the US and supporting my family there, I can't find any information any where else on the web except for here.

My wife has dual Irish/Us citizenship, I am Irish. We live in Ireland and want to move to the US as quick as possible. We have not filled the I-130 yet. We just heard to file from Ireland (to chicago) the process will take 6-8 months! We are pregnant and want to get over there as soon as possible to have the baby in the US with the support of her family. It is also important that I can work there when we arrive.

I should be able to get in to the US on a visa waver. Should I enter the US on the VWP for 90 days and file the froms within the US (the I-130 & the I-485)? Is this possible and is this a quicker route? Are there any dangers of over staying my 90 day visa and being deported/banned from the US or not getting an immigration visa at all?

Thanks for your help.

Albi

You can start the I-130 process while outside the U.S.

On the other hand, if you enter the U.S. with your visa waiver, you can start the conversion process with the I-130 and I-485.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Albi View Post
    Hello,

I have a question about moving to the US and supporting my family there, I can't find any information any where else on the web except for here.

My wife has dual Irish/Us citizenship, I am Irish. We live in Ireland and want to move to the US as quick as possible. We have not filled the I-130 yet. We just heard to file from Ireland (to chicago) the process will take 6-8 months! We are pregnant and want to get over there as soon as possible to have the baby in the US with the support of her family. It is also important that I can work there when we arrive.

I should be able to get in to the US on a visa waver. Should I enter the US on the VWP for 90 days and file the froms within the US (the I-130 & the I-485)? Is this possible and is this a quicker route? Are there any dangers of over staying my 90 day visa and being deported/banned from the US or not getting an immigration visa at all?

Thanks for your help.

Albi

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You can start the I-130 process while outside the U.S.

On the other hand, if you enter the U.S. with your visa waiver, you can start the conversion process with the I-130 and I-485.

--Ray B
      Thanks Ray B.

Would I have to leave the US when my 90 days expire after filing the i-130 and i-485?

Albi

Comment

No, unless you prefer to be processed for an immigrant visa in your home country.

Submittal of the I-485 (with or following the I-130) is to be processed in the U.S. Once the I-485 is in process mode, you are in a "protected' mode and won't face any penalties for a visa expiration.

--Ray

Thanks Ray B.

Would I have to leave the US when my 90 days expire after filing the i-130 and i-485?

Albi

Comment

No, unless you prefer to be processed for an immigrant visa in your home country.

Submittal of the I-485 (with or following the I-130) is to be processed in the U.S. Once the I-485 is in process mode, you are in a "protected' mode and won't face any penalties for a visa expiration.

--Ray
          Fantastic, thank you Ray. Do you know if I can work legally in the US or how long that would take? Is that the I-765 and would that be dependent on the I-130 being approved?

Comment

If an I-130 and I-485 are filed together, you will receive an interim Work Authorization about 3 months after submittal, and good for a year. The Green Card normally shows up about 6 months after filing the I-130 and I-485 together, so the Work Authorization will then be overridden by the Green Card.

--Ray B

Fantastic, thank you Ray. Do you know if I can work legally in the US or how long that would take? Is that the I-765 and would that be dependent on the I-130 being approved?

Comment

If an I-130 and I-485 are filed together, you will receive an interim Work Authorization about 3 months after submittal, and good for a year. The Green Card normally shows up about 6 months after filing the I-130 and I-485 together, so the Work Authorization will then be overridden by the Green Card.

--Ray B
              Thank you Ray. This is very good news. My last question and it's a bit of a long shot: Do you know how long it will take to process the I-130 from within the US (NY). I know it takes 9-12 months if it is filled from Ireland. Will the I-485 be approved at the same time?

Comment

Albi,

When filed together in the U.S., the conversion process averages about 6 months. It can be more or less by a couple of months, depending on area of the country and workload in local offices.

--Ray B

Thank you Ray. This is very good news. My last question and it's a bit of a long shot: Do you know how long it will take to process the I-130 from within the US (NY). I know it takes 9-12 months if it is filled from Ireland. Will the I-485 be approved at the same time?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X