Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT Eligibility H1B to F1 with delayed approval from USCIS

Hello,

I am about to send my OPT application to the USCIS as I am graduating this May. I had requested status change from H1B to F1 in July of 2013. But due to backlogs and RFE, it wasn't approved until November. My classes started in September 2nd so I went ahead and enrolled full-time because my school's SEVIS coordinator said I was allowed to while the case was in process. But now the coordinator is worried that I may not be eligible for an OPT because that fall semester couldn't technically be considered in full-time F1 status. They're not stopping me from sending the application, but they want me to include a letter explaining how I applied for COS well ahead of time and backlogs and RFE were beyond my control.

My question is, am I required to have been enrolled full-time or am I required to have been enrolled full-time as a F1 student for two academic semesters? I've seen in some of threads here that you may not necessarily have to have been in F-1 as long as you took classes full-time during the time in question. So am I eligible? Should I still include this letter the coordinator is suggesting and explain the situation to USCIS? Is there anything else I need to include that may help? I have included letter from school specifying the fact that I was a full-time student for two semesters and have completed all my requirements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

I am also in the same boat now. Did your OPT got approved?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X