Cannot get death certificate for late husband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get death certificate for late husband

My fiancé cannot prove her husband has passed away. We are obtaining a letter from a judge in her home country. That is the best we can do.

I that a valid option?

If the estimated death of her husband was 7 or more years past, the judge's statement might be considered official confirmation of the presumed death. Corroborative evidence should be included, however, to add credibility to the judge's statement. Media accounts of the event in which the husband was presumed to be killed, affidavits from witnesses, etc., may also help.

I think I posted earlier of having a real problem with getting a client's prior wife's death accepted without a death certificate. We included newspaper excerpts of the airplane crash (in Saudi Arabia) and affidavits from family members who attended the funeral in Massachusetts. But USCIS refused to approve the new spousal petition for more than a year, while asking for death certs or listing of passengers who were on the plane at time of crash (all passengers and crew were killed), which we could not obtain from Saudi Airlines.

Finally, it was a copy of the funeral announcement and photo of the cemetery headstone that got acceptance from USCIS.

How did your petition get approved and get to the Embassy without a death cert?

--Ray B

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
    My fiancé cannot prove her husband has passed away. We are obtaining a letter from a judge in her home country. That is the best we can do.

I that a valid option?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Finally, it was a copy of the funeral announcement and photo of the cemetery headstone that got acceptance from USCIS.

How did your petition get approved and get to the Embassy without a death cert?

--Ray B
      I submitted a statement from the Burmese military. The USCIS accepted it.

She is now asking me to try a visit visa. I am not sure we can get a B2 with a K1 pending. We just need two weeks for a visit. I cannot believe all this hassle.

Comment

All that is needed for the Embassy reviewer to sign off and move this on is credible paperwork with more force than what was used to get through USCIS.

--Ray B

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
        I submitted a statement from the Burmese military. The USCIS accepted it.

She is now asking me to try a visit visa. I am not sure we can get a B2 with a K1 pending. We just need two weeks for a visit. I cannot believe all this hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          All that is needed for the Embassy reviewer to sign off and move this on is credible paperwork with more force than what was used to get through USCIS.

--Ray B
          We think we have managed to get the document. The consular was not clear on what to do. I suppose we return the form they gave us with the two documents, her passport, and some kind of cover letter.

Comment

We managed to expedite the documents.

They are in the hands of the a Embassy as of 9:00am tomorrow.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X