Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working abroad with re-entry permit

Hi,
    I am a green card holder since 2006. I need to be in India for the next 2 years to take care of my aged parent. I have an approved re-entry permit which is valid for the next 2 years. I am planning to take up a job while I am in India for the next 2 years. This is essential since I will need to support myself while in India plus I do not want to be unemployed and loose my skills during this period. Will taking up a job in India cause any problems as far as retaining my green card is concerned when I plan to eventually return to the US after 2 years? I will be maintaining ties to the US while I am in India like my bank account, mailing address (P.O. Box) and also pay my taxes.
    Also, instead of staying continuously for 2 years outside the US, would it be better to make a short trip back to the US before the end of 1 year outside (although I have a valid re-entry permit)?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Harveyl; 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM.

Return to the U.S. before you reach two years exit time.

Working abroad will not affect your Green Card status, but you are expected to report worldwide income on a U.S. income tax return. If out for at least 330 days, you will be tax exempt for the first $94,000 (or thereabouts) of foreign income.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Harveyl View Post
    Hi,
    I am a green card holder since 2006. I need to be in India for the next 2 years to take care of my aged parent. I have an approved re-entry permit which is valid for the next 2 years. I am planning to take up a job while I am in India for the next 2 years. This is essential since I will need to support myself while in India plus I do not want to be unemployed and loose my skills during this period. Will taking up a job in India cause any problems as far as retaining my green card is concerned when I plan to eventually return to the US after 2 years? I will be maintaining ties to the US while I am in India like my bank account, mailing address (P.O. Box) and also pay my taxes.
    Also, instead of staying continuously for 2 years outside the US, would it be better to make a short trip back to the US before the end of 1 year outside (although I have a valid re-entry permit)?
    Thanks in advance

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X