Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship application- Stayed twice out of US for 11 months

Hi,

My 5 year GC anniversary date is April 30, 2014. We have stayed and worked here for more than 30 months after getting GC.
    But due to some family obligations me and my wife had to quit our jobs and ended up staying in India twice for 11 months (we had our reentry permit).
    We stayed in USA for 2 weeks after the first trip of 11 months. During our stay outside USA, neither of us (me or my wife) worked in the other country. But we did put our child in a school there.
    Also the only ties we had back to USA were our friends, bank accounts, credit cards, 401K accounts (no house since we stayed in apartment before leaving) and filed taxes for all the time we were out of US.
    We came back to US in the state we had been residing at the beginning of April 2014 and are searching for job.

My question to the senior members on this forum is

1. When are we eligible to apply for citizenship?
    2. Will there be any issues since we have stayed out of the country twice for 11 months?
    3. Will we need to stay in the state for 3 months before applying (we have been staying in the same state for past 8 years)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Can senior members please reply. This is very important for me to understand.

Comment

Were you out of the U.S. for two trips, each of which was 11 months?

Or was the combined time outside of the U.S. a total of 11 months?

--Ray B

Originally posted by infinityloop View Post
      Hi,

My 5 year GC anniversary date is April 30, 2014. We have stayed and worked here for more than 30 months after getting GC.
      But due to some family obligations me and my wife had to quit our jobs and ended up staying in India twice for 11 months (we had our reentry permit).
      We stayed in USA for 2 weeks after the first trip of 11 months. During our stay outside USA, neither of us (me or my wife) worked in the other country. But we did put our child in a school there.
      Also the only ties we had back to USA were our friends, bank accounts, credit cards, 401K accounts (no house since we stayed in apartment before leaving) and filed taxes for all the time we were out of US.
      We came back to US in the state we had been residing at the beginning of April 2014 and are searching for job.

My question to the senior members on this forum is

1. When are we eligible to apply for citizenship?
      2. Will there be any issues since we have stayed out of the country twice for 11 months?
      3. Will we need to stay in the state for 3 months before applying (we have been staying in the same state for past 8 years)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Comment

Ray,

I was out of US first time for 11 continuous months. Stayed back for 1 month in US and left again for 11 months continuous.
        So 22 months total out of US.

Comment

Your two trips of 11 months each may be interpreted as a break in the "continuous residency" requirement for Naturalization eligibility.

I would recommend waiting at least long enough to get past the first 11-month exit before applying.

--Ray B

Ray,

I was out of US first time for 11 continuous months. Stayed back for 1 month in US and left again for 11 months continuous.
          So 22 months total out of US.

Comment

Thanks Ray
            So you mean wait for a couple of months more or for 4years 1 month to apply.

Comment

I can't speak for the "4 years and 1 month" option, as I've never used it for my clients (we do 3 or 4 Naturalization packages a month).

Offhand, I would wait until you have 4 years and 9 months from the return from the first 11-month trip before applying.

There might be a faster option for you, but applying now with those two 11-month absences would be premature.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray
              So you mean wait for a couple of months more or for 4years 1 month to apply.

Comment

Thank you very much Ray.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X