Visitor visa sponsorship while unemployed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor visa sponsorship while unemployed

How does my employment status affect my ability to sponsor my parents for a visitor visa? I'm currently not employed but can show a bank account balance of over $100K average for the past 12 months. I am a US citizen (if that makes a difference) and my parents have visited the US twice (before I became a citizen) in the past. The first time they visited I was on H1 (they got a 6 month visa) and the second I was on GC (they got a 10 year visa).

Also, is it likely they will need an interview? They did the first time but not the second.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

your beind a US citizen will affect their visitor visa appl.

Which country do they belong to?

when did their last visa expire?

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      your beind a US citizen will affect their visitor visa appl.

Which country do they belong to?

when did their last visa expire?
      Thanks for your response! Will my being a US citizen affect their visa app positively or negatively? If negatively, don't the visa people realize I have the option of sponsoring their green cards?

They belong to India and their last Visa expired about a month ago..

Comment

negatively. Exactly for the reason you mentioned. Visitor visa requires a non-immigrant intent . And being immediate relatives of a US citizen
        they can easily adjust to Green card while on a visitor status. Hence the conflict.

This is a lame policy because not all parents actually want to immigrate. That said, no harm in applying once;
        there is a lot of officer discretion in the decision so it is not entirely impossible.

the drop box policy now is they should have gotten their last visa issued after aug 2004 . if their visa expired one month ago, they must have
        gotten it before that date . Still , check for any updates on USTRAVELDOCS.com under RENEW YOUR VISA.

Comment

negatively. Exactly for the reason you mentioned. Visitor visa requires a non-immigrant intent . And being immediate relatives of a US citizen
          they can easily adjust to Green card while on a visitor status. Hence the conflict.

This is a lame policy because not all parents actually want to immigrate. That said, no harm in applying once;
          there is a lot of officer discretion in the decision so it is not entirely impossible.

the drop box policy now is they should have gotten their last visa issued after aug 2004 . if their visa expired one month ago, they must have
          gotten it before that date . Still , check for any updates on USTRAVELDOCS.com under RENEW YOUR VISA.
          Thanks Peace! Looks like we missed the drop box option by 5 months! My parents do not even want to visit and certainly DO NOT want to migrate and it took much convincing for them to consider visiting me this time!

On to my main question, will the fact that I am not employed weigh negatively on the application? Like I said I have an average balance of over $100K and can show other liquid financial assets if needed.

If yes, should they try the self-sponsorship option? My parents also own 2 homes, have a pension with a total income of about Rs. 25K/month and liquid assets/deposits of about Rs. 10 lakhs. However, since they don't file a tax return and receive rent without a paper trail it's hard to substantiate the rental portion.

Comment

yes, very likely it would. As the officer's first question would be about your employment when you show yourself as the
            sponsor. Their income is very low for self funding and even savings should be higher. If they could somehow stretch the savings to
            15L , it could possibly work.

Comment

Visitor Visa rejected - please help

Peace be with you. My application for a B2 visitor visa was rejected today.

went to US, masters, worked for 6 years on H1, returned home to India in 2009 before my H1 expired. All papers in order. Lost father. Only son. Had to move.

Sister settled in the US. GC. Mother has 10 year visa, has visited several times. Always returned in time.

After 5 years, applied for a Visa to go see sister with mother. 214b. Mentioned in DS160 that I will be accompanying my mother.

On ds160, I put myself under unemployed. citing personal time off for more than a year. Why she asked - to renovate my house and to travel - all true. She has never heard of that.

No document checked or asked for, obviously. I have two houses here and have substantial rental income 40k/month. Wife (NRI, US Masters, collegemate) works, makes 20L/yr. Mother retired, gets two pensions - 40k/month.

I just fumbled it completely maybe. Didn't convince her in time - also, put myself as sponsor. Another younger VO guy came by and consulted with her about his own question at the same time - she did type for a bit in, I guess her reasons for rejection - doesn't have a job- potential immigrant.

Truth is niece is going to be 2 in July and would really like to visit. Mother is 71, cant travel alone. Kinda need to go now - she went last year during winter and got real sick. sister lives in Chicago. Maybe that was a problem really - I have semi retired, really don't need a job. After moving back, I worked for 3 years and did genuinely decide to take a year off to renovate my house. too honest ? (btw - try renovating a 30 yr old house and adding a new floor).

can I reapply and how soon - I have all the docs they could possibly want, paid all my taxes, was always legal, kosher. will reapplication give me a chance to bloody explain or will that be a window and 1 minute thing again ? Is it even wise to reapply within 3 days or will they automatically think Im desperate ?

yes, very likely it would. As the officer's first question would be about your employment when you show yourself as the
              sponsor. Their income is very low for self funding and even savings should be higher. If they could somehow stretch the savings to
              15L , it could possibly work.

Comment

beatlemaniac

You are working age group and work is a very important part of their assessment of ties
                to home country. No offense, but it was unwise to apply like that.
                You have to take their point of view as well.

Now you must wait till you have been in some well paying work for at least a year. as their records have you unemplyed.
                If you do not want to work in a job, you should start some self employment
                with documented strong income ( combine your rental income with that and show in your tax return).

Comment

Visitor visa while being unemployed

You are working age group and work is a very important part of their assessment of ties
                  to home country. No offense, but it was unwise to apply like that.
                  You have to take their point of view as well.

Now you must wait till you have been in some well paying work for at least a year. as their records have you unemplyed.
                  If you do not want to work in a job, you should start some self employment
                  with documented strong income ( combine your rental income with that and show in your tax return).
                  I agree with you - may be it was unwise. I was nervous maybe. She did kinda wink at me and say get a job and reapply. I worked in the global staffing industry for 10 years. Can get a job anytime I want.

But I have to take my mom this year. She really cannot travel alone. doesn't my wife's job, mom's pension and property/rental income not matter ? Do I really have to wait a year ? the Hyd consulate says that a different officer will hear my case. I know overturning their decision is not easy or may be impossible but can I take a shot at it - and maybe present myself more assertively ?

I mean, I did go there to study and I worked for a bit and did come back. Im applying after 5 years for a tourist visa. There is already proof that I came back. Since I did spend so much time there, I obviously have friends and fond memories. Why cant I just go back for a frikkin visit ? Can another interview not sort this.

Comment

Think rationally this time. I told you how they assess. No work ;no visa. A different officer makes no difference.

Maybe you can try a few months after starting work.
                    Last edited by peace999; 05-19-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Think rationally this time. I told you how they assess. No work ;no visa. A different officer makes no difference.

Maybe you can try a few months after starting work.
                      thank you for indulging me. hope you have many more fans.

Comment

I meant no offense. Just stressing on what you should do.

Comment

I meant no offense. Just stressing on what you should do.
                          I agree. no offense taken. I should have simply thought abt it from their side. I guess I was too shocked to just simply explain the situation. And I was upset that despite looking at my entire record which was in front of her, she somehow decided I was lying or God knows what. I always maintained my status, always paid my taxes, just one speeding ticket in over 10 years. I was furious and wanted to go right back and prove myself. Its all silly.

After cooling off, I realised that she got burnt before maybe or was simply doing the best job she can. My luck, while we were chatting, some guy came up to her and was asking his own doubts. I really thought I had the visa. she finishes with him and turns around and says im sorry. get a job and apply again. barf !

The only lesson is that if you are applying from India, you better be real thorough.

thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X