Out of Status for 8 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Status for 8 years

I was a dependant A2 visa holder from 1988 to 1996 due to my father working for an Embassy. I had a I-94 with a D/S expiration date.

However, I was 'Out of Status' for the duration of my time as I was working without authorisation. I had a SSN and paid all taxes. I was ill advised that I was able to work by my father at the time and never questioned the Visa status as I was 16 when we first arrived in the US and everything was taken care of for me. Whenever I enquired, I was advised that I was 'legal'. I only found out I was working without authorisation years later when I was able to use the internet to seek clarification. During the time I was in the States I was never asked to appear before a Judge for any visa violation and I was never asked to leave.

It is now 17 years later and I wish to return to the US as a visitor for a 1 week holiday. Would I be able to use the VWP or will I need to apply for a B2 visa? If I pursue the B2 visa route, surely I will be denied by the Consular for the time I was 'Out of Status' from 1988 to 1996.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you.

R.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X