Paperless i94 revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it!

I made call after call, after call. I accidentally called the IT department for the CBP. After a short chat, my "brother in occupation" was able to help me by giving me a direct dial number (not a 1-8xx number). I called it. The person on the other end answered immediately. I told her the problem. She said it would be fixed in 24 hours. She did it!

Now maybe the SSN will come though!

Comment

Linuxguy,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but my experience with a K1 SSN is as follows:

Once the SSA office has all the info it needs to confirm your gal's entrance eligibilty for an SSN (based on a K1 visa) they'll issue the SSN, SO LONG AS IT'S ISSUANCE WILL NOT BE CLOSE TO OR AFTER THE 90-DAY K1 EXPIRATION DATE.

Time and again, I've been told by people with whom I was working that the "cutoff" would not allow SSA to deliver (or even accept an application) the SSN. There is an approximate two-month verifiable timeframe that SSA uses, after which the "window is closed" until your gal has her temporary Work Authorization or Green Card.

But the advantage you now have when you get the I-94 IS THAT YOU OVERCAME THE 'GIGO' BARRIER FOR OBTAINING AN I-94.

--Ray B

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
      I made call after call, after call. I accidentally called the IT department for the CBP. After a short chat, my "brother in occupation" was able to help me by giving me a direct dial number (not a 1-8xx number). I called it. The person on the other end answered immediately. I told her the problem. She said it would be fixed in 24 hours. She did it!

Now maybe the SSN will come though!

Comment

I do not fully understand Ray. We applied 11 days after entering the USA. The application has been pending since. I was able to retrieve her i94 under the incorrect name on the 30th day. The "Fix" took place on 46 day.

I called the Sacramento Social Security Card Center, on the 36th day. I was told that her application had left their location, but they could tell me no more than that.

Comment

Linux Guy,

Issuance of the SSN has nothing to do with when you applied for it, but whether she remains eligible for it. If your gal is within two weeks of her I-94 expiring, the card won't be issued. But if she is only 46 days into her 90-day allowable stay, the card will "probably" be issued.

--Ray B

I do not fully understand Ray. We applied 11 days after entering the USA. The application has been pending since. I was able to retrieve her i94 under the incorrect name on the 30th day. The "Fix" took place on 46 day.

I called the Sacramento Social Security Card Center, on the 36th day. I was told that her application had left their location, but they could tell me no more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
            Linux Guy,

Issuance of the SSN has nothing to do with when you applied for it, but whether she remains eligible for it. If your gal is within two weeks of her I-94 expiring, the card won't be issued. But if she is only 46 days into her 90-day allowable stay, the card will "probably" be issued.

--Ray B
            It has been 5 1/2 weeks. No card. Knowing my luck they sent her application off for fraud investigation when they could not retrieve her records from the CBP.

Comment

I doubt that your SSN app was dropped into a fraud bucket. More likely, it was just dropped from review when DHS confirmation wasn't received. Many times when this happens, a second application needs to be submitted.

But if the SSA office had followed through and received the needed DHS confirmation, they they review the I-94 expiration date. If within a couple of weeks of expiraition, the SSN won't be issued.

--Ray B

It has been 5 1/2 weeks. No card. Knowing my luck they sent her application off for fraud investigation when they could not retrieve her records from the CBP.

Comment

90 days is just under 13 weeks. That means they had over 9 weeks to go after the i94 was corrected. I do not understand how we could be "up against the clock" on this.

Comment

Linux Guy,

Getting an SSN card to your wife is not a big priority with SSA. They can make contact with DHS, have the card printed, then see that she has only 2 weeks left, and won't send the card to her.

You might still get it.

--Ray B

90 days is just under 13 weeks. That means they had over 9 weeks to go after the i94 was corrected. I do not understand how we could be "up against the clock" on this.

Comment

Last edited by samlynn; 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Jert,

By "up against the clock," I meant that SSA won't release an SSN card if the allowable 90-day K1 period is due to expire within a couple of weeks. The rationale, as told to SSN applicants who couldn't get the cards, is that the entrant cannot legally work and is therefore not eligible for a card when her 90-day visa period has ended, so SSA can't justify letting her have the SSN so close to or after the 90-day period expires.

--Ray B

[QUOTE=jert123;345795]90 days is just under 13 weeks. That means they had over 9 weeks to go after the i94 was corrected. I do not understand how we could be "up against the clock" on this.
                      Last edited by samlynn; 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X