X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 student with pending Asylum application

Hello everyone,
    I am pretty new in this site.

I have always been on F-1 status and currently I have both F-1 and filed for asylum. In 2013 I was on OPT when I applied for Asylum. after 150 days I applied for EAD based on my pending asylum application and received EAD valid until may 2015. Currently I am on F-1 status and my Asylum application is pending. For some strange unknown reason I have not had my initial interview with asylum officer since I applied last year June 2013.

We do not have asylum office where I reside and I was told that Asylum officer travel and usually they come to our state once a year but it has already been a year and I have not heard anything. It makes me bother. I decided not to give up my F-1 status in order to keep my options open for H1 if it works out. But it has been very hard to maintain F-1 due to school tuition. Right now I have a job offer from NY but they are not sponsoring me for H1 and hiring me on the condition that I will be able to renew my EAD based on Asylum. I have couple question and I will appreciate your help

1) If I decide to move to NY for work and obviously I will have to transfer my asylum case, how long it takes before I will have my initial interview with asylum officer? is it true that the cases are interviewed sooner in the states where there is Asylum offices?

2) If by any chance I will not have my initial interview with Asylum officer before my EAD expires, Am I going to be eligible to reapply for EAD based on pending asylum application, even if I still maintain my F-1? I know the fact that if I lose my F-1 status, I will be eligible to reapply as long as my case is pending, but I heard cases where students who maintained their
    F-1 while asylum is pending, they were not able to reapply for EAD or their EAD application has been denied?

3) Can I move to NY to work and keep my mailing address the same so that I do not have to transfer my asylum case to NY?

Your information is much appreciated.
    Please, help me to figure out my situation.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X