J1 to J2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 to J2

I am currently in the 30day grace period for J1 visa for physicians. I am still looking for a sponsor/job for my next visa meanwhile, can i switch to J2 (my wife is on J1 research)? If yes, can this be done while in the US or do I have to present at home country consulate to apply for the visa?
    your immediate reply will be greatly helpful. thank you.

grace period allows you to apply for change of status but remember change of status takes 2-4 months , so your grace period would expire by the time the response comes.
    Technically , you should be legal till the response comes but I would recommend going through a sharp attorney for this.

Also, going home to get a J-2 is risky. There is a high denial rate for J-2s and F-2s at posts abroad without a clear reason.( sec 214b)

BTW, do you have the waiver for 2 year home stay requirement?

Comment

I do not have a waiver to my J1, but should it matter since I am not converting to an Immigrant visa? thanks for the first reply.

Comment

NO. it is not just the immigrant visa. If you are subject to a 2 yr home stay requirement, you cannot change status, or even apply for a work visa like H or L . And
        no green card adjustment.

You will need a waiver.

I would imagine you would know this already since you are applying for other physician jobs. Or are you applying for a J-1 fellowship?

Comment

Agreed, I cannot change the status (within the country) but I can get a new J2 from home country correct?
          Not in a situation to get a waiver since none of the waiver criteria are satisfied at the present time.
          Not looking for H/L/greencard at this point.
          Just looking for J2 to stay with the wife.
          Will that 212e be a problem?

Comment

yes correct, you can apply for a J-2 at home. But there is always a risk of denial at posts abroad because J-2 requires a non-immigrant intent ( 214b) .
            And visa-officer discretion rules supreme in such cases. Since that is your only option, u should go ahead, I wish you success.

Comment

will it matter if we both go (she also gets a new visa stamp) vs myself alone for the visa interview?

Comment

sorry , could not follow what you said. Why does she need a new stamp? was she on a J-1 that was a status change?

Comment

she does not need a new one unless she leaves the country and re-enters. it was not a status change.
                  just asking if it will be better to show up with the primary applicant or doesn't matter as far as I have the new ds2019?
                  thank you much

Comment

Originally posted by brownrice View Post
                    she does not need a new one unless she leaves the country and re-enters. it was not a status change.
                    As far as I know , these two statements are contradictory. Needing a stamp to re enter the country means she does not have one already . And that means she is working on a status change.

Anyway, like I said there is always a risk of denial for both J-1 and J-2 at posts abroad.

Comment

sorry for the confusion she does have a stamp. I appreciate your help here.
                      thank you very much

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X