Divorce in US enough or need to divorce again in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce in US enough or need to divorce again in India

My close friend was married to a girl (both Indian Citizens living in US on Green Card) for 4+ years. The marriage was according to Hindu traditions in India and they both lived in Seattle since then. Unfortunately things didn't go as well and they filed for divorce in the US. The divorce proceedings/paperwork was amicable and was finalized about 2 months ago. My friend has since moved to India to restart his life.

So my question is
    a) Is the US divorce considered legal and binding in India.
    b) Does he need to do anything special in India on top of this. Does he need to file any additional paperwork etc.

We want to make sure that there are no loose ends to this situation from a legal perspective and that he should be able to remarry etc as per Hindu traditions in India.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Last edited by maverickr77; 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM.

Does anybody have any feedback on this issue?

Immihelp moderators/gurus.. Please help.

Comment

This is an Indian Family Law issue, and only those folks who are familiar with how foreign divorces are viewed in India, and for whom, can give you a qualified answer.

What works for one country, however, does not always work for another. As examples: Mexican and Dominican Republic divorces are considered legally questionable for some purposes in the U.S. (immigration-related procedures). For the Philippines, the rules are very demanding: if a foreign divorce is initiated by a Filipino citizen, it won't be recognized in the Phiilippines if initiated by a non-Philippines citizen, of a Filipino, recognition in the Philippines requires a court review, taking several months and costing legal fees.

--Ray B

Originally posted by maverickr77 View Post
      My close friend was married to a girl (both Indian Citizens living in US on Green Card) for 4+ years. The marriage was according to Hindu traditions in India and they both lived in Seattle since then. Unfortunately things didn't go as well and they filed for divorce in the US. The divorce proceedings/paperwork was amicable and was finalized about 2 months ago. My friend has since moved to India to restart his life.

So my question is
      a) Is the US divorce considered legal and binding in India.
      b) Does he need to do anything special in India on top of this. Does he need to file any additional paperwork etc.

We want to make sure that there are no loose ends to this situation from a legal perspective and that he should be able to remarry etc as per Hindu traditions in India.

Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your response Ray B. I really appreciate it.

I agree with your comment and thats why I posted this question here. I was hoping that some of the Indians on this site may have experience or may have come across cases like this. I was hoping they would comment on it.

If anyone knows a better website/forum to post this, please let me know.

Originally posted by rayb View Post
        This is an Indian Family Law issue, and only those folks who are familiar with how foreign divorces are viewed in India, and for whom, can give you a qualified answer.

What works for one country, however, does not always work for another. As examples: Mexican and Dominican Republic divorces are considered legally questionable for some purposes in the U.S. (immigration-related procedures). For the Philippines, the rules are very demanding: if a foreign divorce is initiated by a Filipino citizen, it won't be recognized in the Phiilippines if initiated by a non-Philippines citizen, of a Filipino, recognition in the Philippines requires a court review, taking several months and costing legal fees.

--Ray B

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X