Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-551 Stamp is possible before biometrics date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-551 Stamp is possible before biometrics date?

Hello, I just filled my I-90 Form for renewing my Green Card that just expired. I do not have a biometrics date yet and I was told it would take aboput 9 weeks from now. However I need to travel in four weeks. Can I get an I-551 Stamp right away with my I-90 application and my biometrics appointment pending?

thanks

If your I-90 receipt from USCIS indicates an extension to your prior Green Card status, pending approval of your I-90, you don't need an I-551 stamp.

If your receipt says nothing about temporary extension, pending approval, it is unlikely that USCIS will give you an I-551 stamp.

--Ray B
    \
    Originally posted by jaimeeduardo1968 View Post
    Hello, I just filled my I-90 Form for renewing my Green Card that just expired. I do not have a biometrics date yet and I was told it would take aboput 9 weeks from now. However I need to travel in four weeks. Can I get an I-551 Stamp right away with my I-90 application and my biometrics appointment pending?

thanks

Comment

I'm curious if anybody else has info/input on this... ?

I filed my Green Card Renewal (I-90) a couple of weeks ago and my Green Card is due to expire in Mid-August.

I will probably need to travel outside US in late August, so this morning I called the National Customer Service Number shown on the confirmation receipt.

I asked about making an InfoPass appointment to try to get proof/stamp in passport for travel - I'm not sure if this is 100% correct but they told me that I do NOT need a 551 stamp in my passport in order to travel... they told me that their current information is that as long as I have a valid foreign passport, I can travel (and re-enter the US) as long as I can show the expired Green Card AND the ORIGINAL notice of confirmation of receipt.

Has anybody else been advised the same ?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      If your I-90 receipt from USCIS indicates an extension to your prior Green Card status, pending approval of your I-90, you don't need an I-551 stamp.

If your receipt says nothing about temporary extension, pending approval, it is unlikely that USCIS will give you an I-551 stamp.

--Ray B
      \

Comment

I would disagree with that advice you received over the phone. If the receipt shows that your Permanent Resident is extended (as happens with a "Removal of Conditions" receipt), you can use the receipt to reenter despite an expired Green Card. But if the receipt does not indicate an automatic extension, you will have trouble at the Port of Entry.

But I haven't seen an I-90 receipt in recent times, so I don't know if it shows an automatic extension or not.

--Ray B

Originally posted by mymontreal View Post

I filed my Green Card Renewal (I-90) a couple of weeks ago and my Green Card is due to expire in Mid-August.

I will probably need to travel outside US in late August, so this morning I called the National Customer Service Number shown on the confirmation receipt.

I asked about making an InfoPass appointment to try to get proof/stamp in passport for travel - I'm not sure if this is 100% correct but they told me that I do NOT need a 551 stamp in my passport in order to travel... they told me that their current information is that as long as I have a valid foreign passport, I can travel (and re-enter the US) as long as I can show the expired Green Card AND the ORIGINAL notice of confirmation of receipt.

Comment

Thanks Ray

I can confirm that the I-797C receipt notice does NOT contain any type of automatic extension.

To be on the safe side, I have made an InfoPass appointment for a couple of weeks from now and will see what happens and report back...

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          I would disagree with that advice you received over the phone. If the receipt shows that your Permanent Resident is extended (as happens with a "Removal of Conditions" receipt), you can use the receipt to reenter despite an expired Green Card. But if the receipt does not indicate an automatic extension, you will have trouble at the Port of Entry.

But I haven't seen an I-90 receipt in recent times, so I don't know if it shows an automatic extension or not.

--Ray B

Comment

One of my clients had a recent experience resulting from inaccurate advice he got from the USCIS help line. His wife and two children were in processing mode (I-751) for the 10-year Green Card (Removal of Conditions), and their Green Cards had expired. The receipt only listed the wife, not the two children. They were told that the receipt would cover all three family members. When trying to return to the U.S. from Cebu, Korean Airlines would not let the children board. After a week of unexpected expenses, and dealing over and over with the airline, and being misinformed (again and again) that they should be allowed to board, it took a personal call from the Manila Embassy staff person to the Vermont Service Center to get an additional I-751 receipt generated with the two children's names in order for their "automatic" two-year Green card extension to be documented.

The problem with getting any phone (or INFOPASS) advice from USCIS is that one is dealing with poorly-trained staff who routinely give "feel good" answers so that they can move on to the next caller.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray

I can confirm that the I-797C receipt notice does NOT contain any type of automatic extension.

To be on the safe side, I have made an InfoPass appointment for a couple of weeks from now and will see what happens and report back...

Comment

Hello mymontreal. I am having right now the same issue you had last year.

Hello mymontreal.
              I am having right now the same issue you had last year.
              I have also filled my I-90 form already ( I have received the form I-797C Notice of Action also) , also have a date for the biometrics appointment next week, and will need to travel outside the US around the middle of March.
              I am concerned about having issues entering the US with my expired green card and the green card renewal forms ? ( also if I will encounter issues when leaving the country I will be visiting with my expired green card? ). Did you have any issues?
              I was wondering also if you were able to get the 551 stamp in your passport at the Infopass appointment? ( and also if you really needed this stamp? )
              thank you !

Comment

Hopefully, I can get some updated information on this. I have applied online yesterday (07-21-2016) to renew my expired Green Card (I-90). However, I have already booked my trip to Spain leaving on 09-18-2016. I check InfoPass multiple times since yesterday but it always says there is no appointment for the 2-week period. I am afraid that I will not be able to get an appointment to get a I-551 stamp in time for my trip. I am trying to prepare for the worst case scenario in which I cannot get the I-551 stamp in time. May anyone confirm whether or not I can 1) board the plane from Spain back to the US and 2) re-enter to the US with the expired GC and the I-90 receipt (which doesn't say approval or extension) alone. I have search extensively online for this but I am getting very conflicting answer. I would really appreciate if anyone may tell me his/her real life experience (not just "theory") in travelling under my situation?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X