J1 student who wants to marry a US CITIZEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 student who wants to marry a US CITIZEN

Hi guys , my name is Jay and I came to US with a legal J1 visa .

I've met a girl and we want to get married , but don't know the procedures??!!

My visa expires by the end of september .

Please help me if u have any advice or soo

Jay,

There are no bars from your marrying your little lady. But the problem that comes up may be that your J1 classification could be subject to the "2-year" rule, requiring you to remain outside the U.S. for at least two years after a visa expiration before being allowed to reenter the U.S. on any type of visa status.

If there is any indication on your visa or visa-related paperwork that you are exempted from the 2-year requirement, your new wife can petition you and you can subsequently be processed for a spousal visa abroad or have your status converted in the U.S.

On the other hand, if you are subject to the 2-year exclusion rule, you can seek a J1 waiver, but the requirements for such a waiver may require specialized legal help, and/or must be based on documented "humanitarian" grounds, and you may find such a waiver a difficult barrier to overcome.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
    Hi guys , my name is Jay and I came to US with a legal J1 visa .

I've met a girl and we want to get married , but don't know the procedures??!!

My visa expires by the end of september .

Please help me if u have any advice or soo

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X