Joint Sponsorship Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Sponsorship Question

My sister would like me to be a joint sponsor for her husband because she is unemployed at the moment and therefore does not make enough to be the sole sponsor. She asked me to joint sponsor until she finds a job. Will it be possible to stop being a joint sponsor after a month? What is that process like? How does being a joint sponsor affect me? I know I will be financial responsible for the immigrant, but how else am I affected in terms of when I have to file for taxes.

Any help would be appreciated!

The sponsorship obligation lasts 10 years, or until the beneficiary becomes a U.S. citizen, leaves the U.S. permanently, or passes on. There is no such thing as "one-month" sponsorship for an immigrant (using the I-864).

Your sponsorship obligation will not affect or show on your income tax filing.

--Ray B

Originally posted by sd26 View Post
    My sister would like me to be a joint sponsor for her husband because she is unemployed at the moment and therefore does not make enough to be the sole sponsor. She asked me to joint sponsor until she finds a job. Will it be possible to stop being a joint sponsor after a month? What is that process like? How does being a joint sponsor affect me? I know I will be financial responsible for the immigrant, but how else am I affected in terms of when I have to file for taxes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X