Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long would applying for Indian citizenship take, in my case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long would applying for Indian citizenship take, in my case?

Hi. I hope this is in the right place.

I was born a US citizen but am thinking of maybe leaving the US and becoming an Indian citizen, down the road. I am in the process of getting an OCI (almost done).

According to http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/acquisition1.htm , if I have held an OCI for five years, and have resided in India for at least one year, then I am eligible to apply for Indian citizenship, under section 5(1)(G). I am confused by the wording and organization of the rules, though. Section 5 seems to be about naturalization and mentions waiting around 14 years! Would this apply to me? Exactly how long would it take from receiving the OCI to actually becoming a citizen?

Could someone also provide me a timeline for the whole process, if it's not too much? Thanks in advance!

OCI is good enough

Why do you want to surrender your US citizenship and become a citizen of India? Having a US passport has a lot of advantages and I do not think it is wise for you to surrender that. Get an OCI - it is good enough. You can stay in India for as long as you want.

Do not give up your US citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by ps34 View Post

I was born a US citizen but am thinking of maybe leaving the US and becoming an Indian citizen, down the road. I am in the process of getting an OCI (almost done).

According to http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/acquisition1.htm , if I have held an OCI for five years, and have resided in India for at least one year, then I am eligible to apply for Indian citizenship, under section 5(1)(G).

Could someone also provide me a timeline for the whole process, if it's not too much? Thanks in advance!
      With OCI, you must stay in India for atleast 1 year and must have had the OCI card for 5 years to apply for Indian Citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by tampaite View Post
        With OCI, you must stay in India for atleast 1 year and must have had the OCI card for 5 years to apply for Indian Citizenship.
        Okay, but then how long is the actual application process after I wait the 5 years you mention? Could you point me to any information regarding the chances of getting citizenship through application? Thank you.

In the future I may permanently move to India, in which case, I would definetly give up US citizenship for Indian citzenship. This has been my plan for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by ps34 View Post

According to http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/acquisition1.htm , if I have held an OCI for five years, and have resided in India for at least one year, then I am eligible to apply for Indian citizenship, under section 5(1)(G). I am confused by the wording and organization of the rules, though. Section 5 seems to be about naturalization and mentions waiting around 14 years! Would this apply to me? Exactly how long would it take from receiving the OCI to actually becoming a citizen?

Call the closest Indian consulate or get an appointment and talk to a consular office directly. Am afraid, i can't be of much help nor provide any additional info.

if you do call, let us know what you find.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X