Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to the packet after the POE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to the packet after the POE?

We brought the K1 packet with us. The guy at the POE looked at it. He stamped her passport, and we were off. We got married, and then left the USA two weeks later. We did not AOS.

Unless things change drastically in the USA we will not be returning for anything more than a holiday.

What happened with our "abandoned" packet?

What do they do with it?

The packet becomes part of your wife's permanent immigration record, but will eventually be "archived" for inactivity.

Can we now assume the SSN never showed up?

--Ray B

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
    We brought the K1 packet with us. The guy at the POE looked at it. He stamped her passport, and we were off. We got married, and then left the USA two weeks later. We did not AOS.

Unless things change drastically in the USA we will not be returning for anything more than a holiday.

What happened with our "abandoned" packet?

What do they do with it?

Comment

Two weeks to go on the 90 day visa and no SSN.

I tried calling the SSA. I cannot reach anyone who has a clue. It is like she never applied. I even tried the "bleeding heart" story; "We planned to AOS and stay, but the i94 could not be retrieved and nobody had a clue. We gave up and left the USA so she would not go out of status." It did not work.

I will be visiting the USA in October. Need to make noise at someone. Not sure who.
      Last edited by linuxpro; 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Linux Guy,

SSA won't release an SSN after your gal's K1 90-day period has ended. No amount of pressure will get the SSN once she has lost her eligibility for it.

--Ray B

Two weeks to go on the 90 day visa and no SSN.

I tried calling the SSA. I cannot reach anyone who has a clue. It is like she never applied. I even tried the "bleeding heart" story; "We planned to AOS and stay, but the i94 could not be retrieved and nobody had a clue. We gave up and left the USA so she would not go out of status." It did not work.

I will be visiting the USA in October. Need to make noise at someone. Not sure who.

Comment

I am a registered voter, a veteran, and I have senator McCain. My Auntie writes him all the time.

They should have issued the damn thing two months ago.

E*Trade, Fidelity, and Merrill want an SSN to list her as my beneficiary. BofA asked for one for our bank account.

I put her on my health insurance without any problem.
          Last edited by linuxpro; 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Linux Guy,

I hear you, but SSA won't budge (IMHO) because your wife ceased to be eligible for an SSN about 75 days into her K1 visa period.

You missed eligibility the first time because DHS did not enter the I-94 information correctly, but this doesn't cut any ice with SSA.

--Ray B

I am a registered voter, a veteran, and I have senator McCain. My Auntie writes him all the time.

They should have issued the damn thing two months ago.

E*Trade, Fidelity, and Merrill want an SSN to list her as my beneficiary. BofA asked for one for our bank account.

I put her on my health insurance without any problem.

Comment

I guess I have to get her an ITIN before the end of 2014, so we can file our 2015 taxes together.

I just received a stock grant and if I exercise any next year I will be over the threshold for paying USA taxes.

Comment

Linux Guy,

The ITIN is applied for with form W7 at the same time you submit the income tax return (by paperfiling). You can't apply for the ITIN without a tax return.

--Ray B

I guess I have to get her an ITIN before the end of 2014, so we can file our 2015 taxes together.

I just received a stock grant and if I exercise any next year I will be over the threshold for paying USA taxes.

Comment

Embarrassing, Embarrassing, Embarrassing!!!!!!!

My auntie is getting "special" as she gets close to retirement! The social security card has been sitting at her house for several weeks!

Comment

Duh! It's pretty obvious how important you are to your extended family. Maybe you should stay away from them.

--Ray B

Embarrassing, Embarrassing, Embarrassing!!!!!!!

My auntie is getting "special" as she gets close to retirement! The social security card has been sitting at her house for several weeks!

Comment

Dementia

Comment

Dementia...sorry to hear that. I hope your condition doesn't affect your ability to continue working in Singapore. Expats without income don't have it too easy there. But you will then have no excuse except to return to Northern California, where half of the San Francisco homeless population show signs of such afflictions, but can continue to function.

--Ray B

Dementia

Comment

Oh I am forgetful, but not that forgetful.

But my auntie, well...... We do not use the "D" word. We just say "Special".

My family all belongs on Jerry Springer. I have been working continuously since 14. I am now 49. I have never been on disability. I am the only one who can say that.

When I was a kid I had to be the "adult" in the family. I was burned out when I was about 12. Dealing with my family requires a lot of patience that I do not possess.
                          Last edited by linuxpro; 07-27-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X