• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The card is not in my hands

Hi guys, new on here.

I could use a little help..

I've paid the fee's for USCIS and got the card,
    although the card was never sent to me but it was sent to my ex gf.

I had to travel back to Sweden and have been here for a year now,
    but are going back to US in October next year.

My question is (since my 1 year visa has expired).
    Can I go there on a travel visa or ESTA just to retrieve my GC?
    And when it's retrieved, do I still need a visa or can I just have the GC?

I've never actually seen my GC in person yet which
    bothers me but nothing I can do about it now tho,
    all I know is that it have arrived at it's final destination.

Thank you for all the answers!
    //Kristofer

I don't think you can enter without your green card, since your visa stamp has expired now. My main concern for you is how long you've actually been out of the country. If you leave the United States for a year or more without obtaining a re-entry permit (you have to pay and apply for this so they know your intention the whole time you're gone is to return), they assume you have abandoned your residency and probably won't let you back in. Can your ex not just send you the green card in the mail with a secure postal service? I really think you need it to enter!

- - - Updated - - -

Another note about the re-entry permit, they are only valid for two years, so if you leave the United States for more than two years WITH a re-entry permit, in most cases (except very extreme) they will assume you've abandoned your residency and given up your green card status. But if you didn't apply for a permit before you left, and are going to be gone for more than a year, you will have to re-apply for your green card. The only thing you could do is have your green card sent to you, then enter the U.S. before a year has passed since you left initially, apply for a re-entry permit (can take up to two months!), and leave the country again for up to two years. One thing to consider is that if you leave the U.S. for more than a year during the first ten years of your residence, I think it will negatively affect your eligibility for naturalization when the time comes.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X