Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on L2 dependents VISA & I-94 expiry and my work status

HI,
    My L1b visa is getting expired Feb-2015 and have I-94 valid until May 2016. But my dependents L2 visa and I-94 getting expired on Feb 2105. Can you help me understand the below scenarios?
    1. Can I do continue work even after Feb 2015 with valid i-94?
    2. What happens to my dependents status after Feb 2015?
    3. Is there any way to extend their i-94 with out going outside of US?
    4. What would be the best step to continue work in US after feb-2015?
    5. Considering the rejection rate of L1b extension what is the best option available for me?

Thanking you in advance.

Originally posted by teju View Post
    HI,
    My L1b visa is getting expired Feb-2015 and have I-94 valid until May 2016. But my dependents L2 visa and I-94 getting expired on Feb 2105. Can you help me understand the below scenarios?
    1. Can I do continue work even after Feb 2015 with valid i-94?
    2. What happens to my dependents status after Feb 2015?
    3. Is there any way to extend their i-94 with out going outside of US?
    4. What would be the best step to continue work in US after feb-2015?
    5. Considering the rejection rate of L1b extension what is the best option available for me?

Thanking you in advance.
    1. Yes, as long as you dont exceed the 5 Year limit of L1B.
    2. Before their I-94 expiry you need to apply for their extension using form I539.
    3. Form I539.
    4. You are allowed to work till I-94 expiry as long as you dont exceed the 5 Year L1B limit.
    5. You dont need to apply for extension till May 2016 (if your 5 Years L1B is not completing till then). Beyond May 2016, you have to go for L1 extension (if time remaining) or go for H1. Also, dont travel outside US after Feb 2015 , and continue to work on your I-94.

Considering high denial rates for L1 extension , advisable to file H1 in April 2015, so as to be able to have a chance to move to H1 in case L1 extension is denied.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      1. Yes, as long as you dont exceed the 5 Year limit of L1B.
      2. Before their I-94 expiry you need to apply for their extension using form I539.
      3. Form I539.
      4. You are allowed to work till I-94 expiry as long as you dont exceed the 5 Year L1B limit.
      5. You dont need to apply for extension till May 2016 (if your 5 Years L1B is not completing till then). Beyond May 2016, you have to go for L1 extension (if time remaining) or go for H1. Also, dont travel outside US after Feb 2015 , and continue to work on your I-94.

Considering high denial rates for L1 extension , advisable to file H1 in April 2015, so as to be able to have a chance to move to H1 in case L1 extension is denied.

Hi Raghvi,

Thanks a lot for your quick solid answers. This clarifies my doubts.

And yes, i still have time until Feb 2017 to complete 5 year period.

I will be applying for my dependents 1-94 extension by Nov 2014. Hope this is fine?

Thanks,
      Teju

Comment

Yes should be fine.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X