Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GC received while abroad. How do we re-enter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC received while abroad. How do we re-enter?

The GC is approved and received at the US address, while we are in India. How do we re-enter US now?

Can we re-enter with the valid EAD/AP or do we have to get the GC shipped overseas?

Please advise.

Get the Green Card sent to you and use it. Use of an Advance Parole after a Green Card has been issued can cause a problem at the Port of Entry.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Kudla View Post
    The GC is approved and received at the US address, while we are in India. How do we re-enter US now?

Can we re-enter with the valid EAD/AP or do we have to get the GC shipped overseas?

Please advise.

Comment

Use of an Advance Parole after a Green Card?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Get the Green Card sent to you and use it. Use of an Advance Parole after a Green Card has been issued can cause a problem at the Port of Entry.

--Ray B
      Is it safe and also is it legal to ship the green card to an overseas address?

Comment

I can't give you a legal opinion, and I would not send anything as important as that by mail.

I receive EMS-mailed packages from the Philippines on a regular basis, and about half of them are opened by U.S. Customs in San Francisco. I would not want to risk a courier or mail employee (or government employee) getting curious and opening somethiing with a Green Card in the contents.

My druthers would be to send the card with a trusted person travelling to where your relative might be.

--Ray B

Is it safe and also is it legal to ship the green card to an overseas address?

Comment

Use of an Advance Parole after a Green Card?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          I can't give you a legal opinion, and I would not send anything as important as that by mail.
          --Ray B
          Then the only option is to travel with the advance parole. What could be the problem at POE with a valid advance parole?

Comment

Technically, the Advance Parole and Work Authorization are cancelled when the Green Card is issued. In actuality, however, this probably is not seen at the Port of Entry. I did hear of one incident where the arrival was in same situation as you, and when asked at the POE, she said the card had been received at her home (in U.S.). The immigration officer scolded her for continuing to use the Advance Parole.

--Ray B

Then the only option is to travel with the advance parole. What could be the problem at POE with a valid advance parole?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X