Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Away from The US for 10 months do I need to surrender and re-apply for GC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Away from The US for 10 months do I need to surrender and re-apply for GC ?

Here is a sum up of our situation.

I am french, my wife is american.

My wife and I got married in January 2008 in the US and I got my GC in May 2008. We lived and we worked in the US until March 11 2014 when we flew back to France to work for 2 french companies. We sold our house and our cars. We thought initially we would stay for 2-3 years but are ending wanting to come back in january 2015 or by the latest June 2015.

I thought i had prepared my move correctly but just realized a few weeks ago that indeed my LPR was probably gone and I would have to carefully look at what to do to be able to come back live and work in the US.

Needless to say I should have become a citizen but lesson learnt.
    After reading a lot of material online I am considering to surrender my GC in Paris embassy immediately and as soon as it is done to re-apply for a GC in Paris.

Do you think this is the right thing to do?
    Is there any delay between surrendering and re-applying?

Thank you,

Joe.

Your Green Card is not at risk of cancellation unless you stay out of the U.S. a year or longer without a Reentry Permit.

--Ray B

Originally posted by letutur View Post
    Here is a sum up of our situation.

I am french, my wife is american.

My wife and I got married in January 2008 in the US and I got my GC in May 2008. We lived and we worked in the US until March 11 2014 when we flew back to France to work for 2 french companies. We sold our house and our cars. We thought initially we would stay for 2-3 years but are ending wanting to come back in january 2015 or by the latest June 2015.

I thought i had prepared my move correctly but just realized a few weeks ago that indeed my LPR was probably gone and I would have to carefully look at what to do to be able to come back live and work in the US.

Needless to say I should have become a citizen but lesson learnt.
    After reading a lot of material online I am considering to surrender my GC in Paris embassy immediately and as soon as it is done to re-apply for a GC in Paris.

Do you think this is the right thing to do?
    Is there any delay between surrendering and re-applying?

Thank you,

Joe.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X