Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1 visa & one-way ticket

Hi,

I was accepted for a 5-year study program at a university in the U.S. in March this year (2014). As I was awarded a U.S. Fellowship for 2 of the 5 years, I was only given a 2 year J1 visa on a passport that expires in 2024.

The fellowship covers monthly stipend, accommodation, tuition waiver, medical insurance etc, for 2 years. And I've just been accepted for a Teaching Assistantship in a 2nd year course which gives me additional monthly allowance.

Now, I've just purchased a one-way ticket into the U.S.

With the university acceptance letter, my J1 visa, the fellowship support letter and email about TAship, would this be sufficient to avoid being turned back at the airport, for only having a one-way ticket?

Note: I've emailed the U.S. Embassy in my home country several times (but no reply) and their explanation on the phone is that it should be okay to go in on a one-way ticket (but they haven't put this in writing, yet). I depart in 2 days time and still no word from U.S. Embassy or our Immigration department to allay my fears.

As a student that's going in to start this Fall, I have sufficient savings to purchase a one-way open ticket coming back into my home country, but would rather save that, and have it as funds to sustain me during the first month till I get my first stipend.

Looking forward to any advice. Sincerely

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X