Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 w/o COS

Hi,

I was very much benefitted from these forums and thought I'd share my experience to help others.

Background:

I have been to USA before on f2 visa and h4 visa when my husband was on f1 visa (opt) and h1 visa respectively. My husband hasn't applied for green card yet.

After one year of my stay in USA I applied to two universities to pursue masters in management information systems and I received admits from both. I completed two semesters(online) from xxx university on h4 visa.

I didn't apply for COS from h4 to f1 in USA. I was in India for a month in July 2014 and attended my visa interview at Hyderabad consulate.

Education profile:
    BS in Biotech 80%
    MBA 78%
    GRE : 299
    TOEFL: 103
    CGPA ( current masters): 4.0

Interview (8:30 am)

VO: hello
    Me: hi
    VO: please give me your i20 and passport?
    Me: ( gave)
    VO: what's your under-graduation % ?
    Me: xx percent
    VO: when did you undergraduate ?
    Me : told year
    VO: what's your MBA % ?
    Me : xx percent
    VO: are you currently on h4?
    Me: yes
    VO: when will it expire?
    Me: told year
    VO: what visa is your husband on?
    Me: h1b
    VO: when will it expire?
    Me. Same. Xxx month and xxxx year.
    VO: where does he work?
    Me: xxxx company
    VO: looks like you are already a student at xxx university?
    Me: yup. I completed two semesters from xxx university.
    VO: how far is this university from where you currently stay?
    Me: three hours
    VO: how do you plan to commute?
    Me: I am planning to move to university housing once I am back in USA
    VO: what's your current CGPA ?
    Me: 4.0

That's great. All the very best for the rest of your semesters. Your visa is approved.

( VO didn't ask me to show any docs. I only gave him my I-20 and passport in the beginning when asked)

Thank you,
    Patty

Hi

Hi Pratyusha,

Are you really serious that we can study here without a change of status?? Is it not considered illegal? However im on B2 visa now and I have applied for a change of status to F1 on May 12th. My college is starting soon and I havent received the decision yet. And it seems to be taking forever for the uscis to process the application. I am not sure if i will receive a decision before the joining date. Would you suggest me to join the course without a COS?

Comment

Hi Sahityab

One can study on H4 visa as long as it is valid. However I am not sure if it is legal to study on B2 visa. COS usually takes 3 to 6 months. I cannot suggest you anything as I am not aware of rules/regulations pertaining to your visa. Check with your school or a lawyer.

Good Luck

Comment

Change of status from H4 to F1

Hi,

Can someone tell me if State ID is mandatory to apply for change of status from H4 to F1 though Form I-539?

Regards,
        Prarthana

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X