Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap-exempt to Cap-subject H1b

Hi,

I have been working for a cap-exempt employer A for the past few years. I wanted to move to for-profit organizations and since, I was not counted under cap previously, my new employer B filed a cap-subject H1b petition in April 2014 and it was approved. I was hoping to start working with employer B from Oct 2014, but due to personal reasons, I want to continue with employer A until next June(2015). But, before I make that decision, I want to find out answers to some of my questions.

1. Is there time limit before which I have to join my new employer B, assuming he doesn't revoke my H1.

2. I have signed an employment contract with employer B before he filed my H1b, which states that I will join in Oct 14 provided the H1 petition is approved. Would that put me in a legal obligation to join them in Oct 14?

3. If employer B is ready to let me off the hook, since I was already counted under cap, Can I move to any other for-profit organization(next June)? Would that be cap-exempt even though I didn't actually work on my cap-exempt H1b?

4. The reason I am pushing my joining date to next year is because I will be taking maternity leave in Feb 2015 and I don't belive I will be eligible for any benefits with employer B as I would have worked with them for only 4-5 months by then. If I had to join employer B in Oct 2014 and go on leave of absence, how will that affect my H1 status, because I would probably not get paid during that time. Is there a limit on how long one can be on Leave of absence without pay, while on H1B.

Please kindly answer my questions as it would greatly help me make right decision.

Could someone please respond. I really need help. Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X