Just starting the process, few questions if I may

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting the process, few questions if I may

Hi, we are just starting the K1 process in a few weeks time when I am in USA to visit my Fiancée,
    We have been reading up as much as we can to make sure we get the process and requirements right first time, but I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any help or advise.
    I am English, but am currently working in Saudi on a 6 month at a time basis (consultant) probably can stay for several years if I want(I don't want)
    Am divorced in UK, cost me most of what I have so have low savings.
    I have a good income now, but after Marrying my Fiancée and living in USA will need to get work (this will not be a problem)
    My Fiancée is a USA citizen has her own home (approx. $90,000) but no income of her own, she cares for her disabled son, they live on his allowance ($800) a month plus a few bits and pieces, also I support them financially as well.
    We are both in our mid 50s.
    My questions are
    1. Any idea as to the percentage of K1s granted ?, (how likely to be allowed ?)
    2. I understand the process for us would take about 9 months, can I still work in Saudi or do I need to be in UK from start of application, (I can travel back for interviews etc )
    3. Would she be able to sponsor me even though she has no Job, would the equity in her property (fully owned) be enough ?
    if not how much would I need in cash ? would I need to transfer it into her name / bank ? or what other alternatives are there. ?
    4. I understand we need her to have available 3 years worth of 125% of the rate for 3 people (Fiancee, myself and her son) as assets available or saleable within 12 months, is this correct. We would rather do the sponsorship ourselves, than find a family member of hers to sponsor me, if possible.

Thanking you for your help, and for a really great worthwhile site.

Ptraw,

Please see my responses in CAPS below your questions:

Originally posted by Ptraw View Post
    Hi, we are just starting the K1 process in a few weeks time when I am in USA to visit my Fiancée,
    We have been reading up as much as we can to make sure we get the process and requirements right first time, but I have a few questions and would be very grateful for any help or advise.
    I am English, but am currently working in Saudi on a 6 month at a time basis (consultant) probably can stay for several years if I want(I don't want)
    Am divorced in UK, cost me most of what I have so have low savings.
    I have a good income now, but after Marrying my Fiancée and living in USA will need to get work (this will not be a problem)
    My Fiancée is a USA citizen has her own home (approx. $90,000) but no income of her own, she cares for her disabled son, they live on his allowance ($800) a month plus a few bits and pieces, also I support them financially as well.
    We are both in our mid 50s.
    My questions are
    1. Any idea as to the percentage of K1s granted ?, (how likely to be allowed ?)

IF PAPERWORK IS CORRECTLY SUBMITTED, PROOF OF TERMINATED MARRIAGES IS PROVIDED, PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP IS PRESENT, AND SPONSORSHIP EVIDENCE MEETS REQUIREMENTS, THERE IS NO REASON TO EXPECT A DENIAL OF A K1 VISA.

2. I understand the process for us would take about 9 months, can I still work in Saudi or do I need to be in UK from start of application, (I can travel back for interviews etc )

YOU WILL NEED TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE U.K. FOR YOUR IMMIGRANT MEDICAL EXAM AND EMBASSY INTERVIEW THERE. YOU MUST BE CERTAIN THAT ANY MAIL YOU RECEIVE, TOWARDS END OF PROCESSING, REACHES YOU.

3. Would she be able to sponsor me even though she has no Job, would the equity in her property (fully owned) be enough ?

NOT EASILY. PROPERTY EQUITY IS NOT A RECOMMENDED SPONSORSHIP OPTION. SHE NEEDS TO OBTAIN A CO-SPONSOR, BUT CO-SPONSORS ARE NOT FAVORED OR K1 VISAS, BUT ARE ACCEPTED ON A DISCRETIONARY BASIS.

if not how much would I need in cash ? would I need to transfer it into her name / bank ? or what other alternatives are there. ?

ABOUT THREE TIMES THE INCOME REQUIREMENT WOULD BE NEEDED, APPROXIMATELY $75,000 (U.S.).

4. I understand we need her to have available 3 years worth of 125% of the rate for 3 people (Fiancee, myself and her son) as assets available or saleable within 12 months, is this correct. We would rather do the sponsorship ourselves, than find a family member of hers to sponsor me, if possible.

THERE IS NO 'THREE YEAR' STIPULATION, BUT 3-TIMES ANNUAL INCOME REQUIREMENT HAS TO BE AVAILABLE IN EASILY LIQUIDATED FUNDS OR SECURITIES.

A FAMILY MEMBER CO-SPONSOR IS HER BEST OPTION, PERHAPS COMBINED WITH A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF AVAILABLE CASH. THE PROBLEM WITH HER SHOWING CASH IS THAT THEY MAY ASK FOR PROOF OF WHEN IT BECAME AVAILABLE TO HER, AND IT COULD BE PERCEIVED AS 'SHOW MONEY.' BUT IF IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR FUNDS TO ENHANCE YOUR SPONSORSHIP, THAT IS REASONABLE.

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT MAKING THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY AVAILABLE TO HER. AS TRUSTING AS YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN FEELING ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP, I'VE SEEN FIANCEES DISAPPEAR UP THE ROAD FOR MUCH LESS MONEY PUT INTO THEIR STEWARDSHIP.

--Ray B

Thanking you for your help, and for a really great worthwhile site.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X