Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do I have to start using a re-entry permit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do I have to start using a re-entry permit?

Hello,

I have been out of the US for about 3 months. I received my re-entry permit a week ago. Next month I will visit US for vacation.

I know I need to use the re-entry permit after 1 year absence, but what if my absence is only 3 months and a few days? Do I still have to show my re-entry permit at the US immigration voluntarily, or is it okay to show it only upon request?

Thank you!
    Last edited by ashleyG; 08-27-2014, 12:57 PM.

If you show your Reentry Permit, after being out for 3 months, and you tell the officer that you are only reentering the U.S. for a vacation, you may be faced with a threatened cancellation of your Green Card.

On the other hand, if you simply show your Green Card, as any other entrant returning to his home in the U.S. after a vacation abroad, you should be processed normally.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ashleyG View Post
    Hello,

I have been out of the US for about 3 months. I received my re-entry permit a week ago. Next month I will visit US for vacation.

I know I need to use the re-entry permit after 1 year absence, but what if my absence is only 3 months and a few days? Do I still have to show my re-entry permit at the US immigration voluntarily, or is it okay to show it only upon request?

Thank you!

Comment

Thank you! I'm afraid that immigration officers could know that I have been issued a re-entry permit by alien number and might tell me to show it. Isn't it the case?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      If you show your Reentry Permit, after being out for 3 months, and you tell the officer that you are only reentering the U.S. for a vacation, you may be faced with a threatened cancellation of your Green Card.

On the other hand, if you simply show your Green Card, as any other entrant returning to his home in the U.S. after a vacation abroad, you should be processed normally.

--Ray B
      Last edited by ashleyG; 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with showing a Reentry Permit. But to admit that you are simply returning to the U.S. for a 'vacation' implies that you are not maintaining a U.S. domicile.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ashleyG View Post
        Thank you! I'm afraid that immigration officers could know that I have been issued a re-entry permit by alien number and might tell me to show it. Isn't it the case?

Comment

Thank you so much for your prompt answer!

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          There is nothing wrong with showing a Reentry Permit. But to admit that you are simply returning to the U.S. for a 'vacation' implies that you are not maintaining a U.S. domicile.

--Ray B

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X