Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing help: Which forms to bring UK spouse to US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing help: Which forms to bring UK spouse to US?

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but what a wealth of information! I am seeing SO much information, in fact, that I'm all a bit confused for our particular circumstances and what needs to be filed and when. I'll give you the run-down...

I'm a born US citizen, my wife is a UK citizen. We married in the US recently but she is still residing in the UK (work, etc). She would like to move to the US to be with me. We are preparing to fill out immigration forms to accomplish this. Here's what I know I have to file, but I need help on the rest....

I-130... petition for alien relative. ($420)
    G-325A...biographic information. (FREE)
    G-1145...e-notification for petition/application acceptance. (FREE)
    ------------------

Now here's where I get confused, being that she is still in the UK and we are living apart until all of this is sorted. We will not be going through the K3 route, as I don't know much about its benefits and drawbacks vs. this path. Thoughts?

In order for her to live and work in the US, do we need to *also* file the following? Also, should they be filed with the I-130 or after she is granted permission to come here on a conditional green card? Can I file any of these concurrently with the I-130 or should I wait for them to request anything if needed?

I-485...Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status ($1070 which includes the biometric fee and I-765 if filed together) **Is this filed with the I-130, or after a certain period of time once she's in the U.S.?**

I-765...Employment authorization. ($380 if filed separately of the I-485) **If she is granted permission to come to the U.S. after a consulate interview, do we need to file this form anyway? Or will she be granted a work-only SSN with the conditional green card?**

Police record. **File with the I-130? Or just bring to the consulate interview?**

I-693...Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. (FREE) **Is this only requested by the NVC upon I-130 approval?**

I-864...Affidavit of Support ($0 if filed abroad but a fee if filed in the U.S.? Wouldn't I have to file it from the U.S.?! Can't find the fee.) **Required, or just upon request?**
    ------------------

I just want to make sure we are filing everything we should with the I-130, to save time and even maybe money, but I don't want to file something that may end up not being necessary. Please walk me through this carefully, as I'd like to do this right the first time. Thanks, in advance, for whatever professional advice you can give, or advice based on the *same type* of experience. If you think this is explained in detail on another thread, please direct me to it so I can see if it clarifies my questions, but, quite frankly, my eyes are crossing from digging through forums and other websites to piece together a plan that fits exactly our situation.

--Lynne

Lynne,

Please see my responses in CAPS after each question:

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, but what a wealth of information! I am seeing SO much information, in fact, that I'm all a bit confused for our particular circumstances and what needs to be filed and when. I'll give you the run-down...

I'm a born US citizen, my wife is a UK citizen. We married in the US recently but she is still residing in the UK (work, etc). She would like to move to the US to be with me. We are preparing to fill out immigration forms to accomplish this. Here's what I know I have to file, but I need help on the rest....

I-130... petition for alien relative. ($420)
    G-325A...biographic information. (FREE)
    G-1145...e-notification for petition/application acceptance. (FREE)

ABOVE, PLUS FEE, PASSPORT-STYLE PHOTOS, BIRTH AND DIVORCE CERTS, MARRIAGE CERT, ARE ALL YOU NEED TO SUBMIT.
    ------------------

Now here's where I get confused, being that she is still in the UK and we are living apart until all of this is sorted. We will not be going through the K3 route, as I don't know much about its benefits and drawbacks vs. this path. Thoughts?

K3 ISN'T USED ROUTINELY ANYMORE. YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A CR-1 IMMIGRANT SPOUSAL VISA.

In order for her to live and work in the US, do we need to *also* file the following? Also, should they be filed with the I-130 or after she is granted permission to come here on a conditional green card? Can I file any of these concurrently with the I-130 or should I wait for them to request anything if needed?

I-485...Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status ($1070 which includes the biometric fee and I-765 if filed together) **Is this filed with the I-130, or after a certain period of time once she's in the U.S.?**

YOU WON'T NEED THE I-485 IF SHE IS PROCESSED U.K. FOR A VISA.

I-765...Employment authorization. ($380 if filed separately of the I-485) **If she is granted permission to come to the U.S. after a consulate interview, do we need to file this form anyway? Or will she be granted a work-only SSN with the conditional green card?**

YOU WONT NEED THE I-765 IF SHE COMES TO THE U.S. ON A HER IMMIGRANT SPOUSAL VISA.

Police record. **File with the I-130? Or just bring to the consulate interview?**

NO, THE POLICE CLEARANCE AND CERTIFIED CIVIL DOCUMENTS WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE NATIONAL VISA CENTER, AFTER PETITION IS APPROVED BY USCIS, AND BEFORE PAPERWORK GOES TO THE CONSULATE.

I-693...Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. (FREE) **Is this only requested by the NVC upon I-130 approval?**

THE IMMIGRANT MEDICAL EXAM IS DONE IN THE U.K. BEFORE HER INTERVIEW.

I-864...Affidavit of Support ($0 if filed abroad but a fee if filed in the U.S.? Wouldn't I have to file it from the U.S.?! Can't find the fee.) **Required, or just upon request?**
    ------------------

THE I-864 AND SUPPORTING SPONSORSHIP DOCS WILL BE SUBMITTED TO THE NATIONAL VISA CENTER, AFTER PAYING THE $88 SPONSORSHIP PROCESSING FEE.

I just want to make sure we are filing everything we should with the I-130, to save time and even maybe money, but I don't want to file something that may end up not being necessary. Please walk me through this carefully, as I'd like to do this right the first time. Thanks, in advance, for whatever professional advice you can give, or advice based on the *same type* of experience. If you think this is explained in detail on another thread, please direct me to it so I can see if it clarifies my questions, but, quite frankly, my eyes are crossing from digging through forums and other websites to piece together a plan that fits exactly our situation.

--Lynne

Comment

Thank you SO much for your replies. This is going to help tremendously, and save us a lot of hassle and money, because I could have gotten that so wrong!

When I read the instructions on the I-130, it said to send with it a "copy" of your birth certificate, "copy" of marriage license, etc, etc. So definitely a photo copy or do they mean a certified copy? Will the originals have to be mailed in or just brought to the interview?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

For your I-130 submittal, use photocopies of civil documents.

At the second stage of processing, National Visa Center, you will have to provide certified copies of civil documents.

--Ray B

Thank you SO much for your replies. This is going to help tremendously, and save us a lot of hassle and money, because I could have gotten that so wrong!

When I read the instructions on the I-130, it said to send with it a "copy" of your birth certificate, "copy" of marriage license, etc, etc. So definitely a photo copy or do they mean a certified copy? Will the originals have to be mailed in or just brought to the interview?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Many thanks, Ray! Lastly, since my wife and I have been living in separate countries, even since marriage, how would I procure proof of bona fide marriage with her name on utility billing statements and so on? We can't legally cohabitate yet, so I don't understand that. We have many pictures together from our travels and visits... IMs, texts, marriage license/certificate, pictures and video of the small ceremony but it's not something that was planned in advance, so no reception souvenirs or wedding invitations to bring along. What else would you recommend?

Lynne

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          For your I-130 submittal, use photocopies of civil documents.

At the second stage of processing, National Visa Center, you will have to provide certified copies of civil documents.

--Ray B

Comment

If you lack some types of evidence, include more of other types of evidence.

--Ray B

Many thanks, Ray! Lastly, since my wife and I have been living in separate countries, even since marriage, how would I procure proof of bona fide marriage with her name on utility billing statements and so on? We can't legally cohabitate yet, so I don't understand that. We have many pictures together from our travels and visits... IMs, texts, marriage license/certificate, pictures and video of the small ceremony but it's not something that was planned in advance, so no reception souvenirs or wedding invitations to bring along. What else would you recommend?

Lynne

Comment

Confusing section of the G-325A form that instructions do not explain

I managed to sign her up as a spouse on my household utilities, which is great for evidence!

If you have any experience with the form G-325A, there is a field for "Applicant's last address outside the US of more than 1 year", however, she still lives at this address and the only option it gives is the 'FROM' date and the 'TO' date.... no way to type in "Present". She has only ever lived outside the U.S. The info in the fields above show her current address, so should she leave this other section blank? Or write "N/A"?

Thank you! Getting close to submitting the paperwork!

Lynne

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X