Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with SSN and passport

Thanks for the quick reply Ray,

We have an appointment at the US embassy in London next week to apply for a passport. We will be taking the birth certificate and other forms of ID, docs etc.......from your post i'm guessing the lack of a SSN shouldn't be an issue at this point. We will check with the SSA before next week (i wasn't aware that it was possible to do that so thanks for the advice).

It would be a shame to go all the way and turn up for the appointment only to be told straight away that we couldn't go any further without a SSN!

With your advice in mind would that mean that a SSN isnt something she needs to worry about applying for until she has the passport and is starting to apply for work etc?

Thanks
    Laurie
    Last edited by lauriec; 09-07-2014, 04:59 PM.

Existence of an SSN is not a requirement for applying for a passport, though the application form does request the SSN.

It would be prudent to check with the Social Security agency to see if an SSN has been issued for her name.

--Ray B

Originally posted by lauriec View Post
    Hi,

I've found this forum after searching for a while for some information.

My girlfriend was born in the US. She is a British passport holder and has lived here ever since moving back to the UK at 6 weeks old. We have her original US birth cert. She has never held a US passport. On the birth cert there is an option to select whether the holder shall be given a SSN, which has been circled on the certificate as having been requested. She, along with her Mum are unsure they ever received a SSN (possibly due to the short time they spent in the country before returning to the uk?)

Is it possible to find out if there was ever a SSN given to her? Will she have to apply for a new SSN?

She is looking into applying for a US passport, which we understand is possible given the facts stated above. To complete to passport application, we understand a SSN is needed, is this the case?

Some background info.........Her father was in the Royal Air Force and was stationed in Washington, where she was born. He was then relocated back to the UK shortly after her birth. She is a RN in the UK.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Laurie

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X