K1 visa questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K1 visa questions

I have a visa nightmare. I am from Canada and I have been living in the USA for 8 yrs. I was working on getting my greencard through work (it hasn't gotten very far, just to the point were they have posted my job). I have since had a baby in the USA with an American (we have been in a relationship for 3 yrs) and I am going to leave my current job to be a stay-at-home mom. I never got married as I thought I would be going back to work. However, I will need a new visa if I don't work. My mat leave at work ends Nov 7th, 2014 and I don't plan on going back. I would prefer not to get married until 2015. Can we apply for a K1 and that will hold us over for 2 months and then get married in Jan and apply for K3 and greencard? Do I have to leave and reenter on a K1? I am currently on a TN visa that expires in Nov of 2015. How long does a K1 take to get?

A K1 has to process you outside of the U.S.

There is no K3 direct application that results in a visa anymore. A spousal visa is applied for as a CR1- with an I-130 form. You can follow up with a K3 I-129F package, but the I-130 will take priority over any k3 paperwork.

You've got so many things going on with your status that I can only make one suggestion: marry now and submit an I-130, followed by or companion with an I-485 to apply for your Green Card.

--Ray B

Originally posted by hds View Post
    I have a visa nightmare. I am from Canada and I have been living in the USA for 8 yrs. I was working on getting my greencard through work (it hasn't gotten very far, just to the point were they have posted my job). I have since had a baby in the USA with an American (we have been in a relationship for 3 yrs) and I am going to leave my current job to be a stay-at-home mom. I never got married as I thought I would be going back to work. However, I will need a new visa if I don't work. My mat leave at work ends Nov 7th, 2014 and I don't plan on going back. I would prefer not to get married until 2015. Can we apply for a K1 and that will hold us over for 2 months and then get married in Jan and apply for K3 and greencard? Do I have to leave and reenter on a K1? I am currently on a TN visa that expires in Nov of 2015. How long does a K1 take to get?

Comment

Thanks for you quick response and I really appreciate your advice.

How long does it take on average when you apply for a I-130 to hear back on acceptance/rejection? Do I need to exit and reenter on the new VISA? Or can I wait until I go back to Canada at my next scheduled visit?

Comment

The answers to your questions depends on whether you plan to be processed in Canada or the U.S. If you plan to be processed in Canada, then the I-130 wil take about 6-8 months to go through the "3-step" process (USCIS, NVC, Consulate in Canada).

If you plan to be processed in the U.S., submit the I-130 and i-485, with supporting documents, at the same time, AND DO NOT RETURN TO CANADA UNTIL THE PROCESS IS COMPLETED AND YOU HAVE YOUR GREEN CARD, about 6 months.

--Ray B

Originally posted by hds View Post
        Thanks for you quick response and I really appreciate your advice.

How long does it take on average when you apply for a I-130 to hear back on acceptance/rejection? Do I need to exit and reenter on the new VISA? Or can I wait until I go back to Canada at my next scheduled visit?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X