petition for parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petition for parents

I entered as a tourist, fell in love amd married a US citizen. I have a temporary green card and will have a permanent one in 2 yrs and i will be a US citizen in a few years. When that time comes i want to petition my parents to come here. Can they deny the petition of my parents on the grounds that i married as a tourist?

So long as you are a U.S. citizen when you petition your parents, your mode of entry has no bearing on your parents' eligibility for visas.

--Ray B

Originally posted by nikkiklein View Post
    I entered as a tourist, fell in love amd married a US citizen. I have a temporary green card and will have a permanent one in 2 yrs and i will be a US citizen in a few years. When that time comes i want to petition my parents to come here. Can they deny the petition of my parents on the grounds that i married as a tourist?

Comment

As per my knowledge, your wedding won't be a issue once you will be a permanent green card holder. You will be a permanent US resident after two years so your petition will be on that grounds not your marriage basis. For digging deep about this, I advise you to concern any immigration lawyer.
      Last edited by samlynn; 09-23-2014, 10:32 AM.
      Achieve your dreams of living or working in United States. Berardi Immigration law firm facilitates the transfer of individuals or business to US from all around the world.

Comment

Actually, to further clarify, you will be eligible to apply for U.S. Naturalization at 2 years and 9 months from issue date of your first (Conditional) Green Card. Once a U.S. citizen, you can petition your parents. Your petition for a parent will be based on your U.S. citizenship status, not on your Permanent Resident status.

Once you have U.S. citizenship (Naturalization) status, USCIS has no need to question how you acquired your original Green Card status.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Berimm View Post
        As per my knowledge, your wedding won't be a issue once you will be a permanent green card holder. You will be a permanent US resident after two years so your petition will be on that grounds not your marriage basis. For digging deep about this, I advise you to concern any immigration lawyer.

Comment

Petition for parents issue

Hi, I petitioned for both of my parents (who live in Nepal) in May, 2014. I received Form I-797 for my mum but not for my dad yet. Both of my parents want their process to be done together, and would like to come to the states together. Should I wait till I receive my dad's I-797? Is there any time frame that I should take action after I receive I-797?

Comment

Wait until both parents' petitions are at the National Visa Center, then submit their sponsorship and civil documents together to the NVC, after the NVC fees are paid.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Nami123 View Post
            Hi, I petitioned for both of my parents (who live in Nepal) in May, 2014. I received Form I-797 for my mum but not for my dad yet. Both of my parents want their process to be done together, and would like to come to the states together. Should I wait till I receive my dad's I-797? Is there any time frame that I should take action after I receive I-797?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X