Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How strong is my case against my employer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong is my case against my employer....

Can anyone help me understand how stronger is my case and when and how to react on this. Should I start filling WH4 before it is too late , or wait as I am planning to go to vacation in India for December.

Background :

I started working for a Desi consultant in Virginia as soon as I graduated in May 2011. I was in OPT and the offer letter stated that my base pay is 51K and not major benefits are detailed.

Employer immediately placed me in a Forture 100 company as a QA analyst . There was a prime vendor between my employer and client . After joining I slowly worked through the system and started working in lead/managerial roles ( no direct reports) and working on project execution , facilitation , process compliance verification roles .

I was on OPT and I was never worried about my pay for almost an year , then I was a bit concerned and approached my employer on phone about my pay concern ( Since he was from same region in India we use to have conversations on phone). I never got any positive response all I hear is Prime vendor not paying him well , so he cannot afford to give me any benefits.

In April 2012 he filed for my H1b and took 5000 USD by cash and the exchange happened in a suspicious way . There might be some proof that he got the money , but it will be a weak case .

I left to India as there was a query on OPT , and at the USCIS office they recommended me to take that action to not go out of status till october 2012. I never recieved any pay as I was not working at client .

Then I went to India and had tons of trouble in getting my h1b stamped and my employer did not help me in this aspect. I had to work a lot convincing people at my client to get the client letter and finally my H1b was approved to be started in October 2013.

I landed in USA on October 2012 and started working with the same client again on my H1b . In May 2013 I had to relocate to a different facility for the same client to work in a remote mode ( Employer did file LCA for this ) .

Here are my concerns .

1) My W2 pay in 2013 is 5K less than wage agreed upon in LCA ( Initial and amendment filed) .

2) I reviewed LCA to see why prevailing wage is low , and I see that my job level is selected a 1 , and I am sure that the role I am performing is 3 or 4 . So , my employer provided false information on LCA.

3) Even though I am salaried as per LCA , I never get consistent pay on my paystubs , it is somewhat proportional to my timesheets for work .

4) I get very minimal benefits , no 401k , no pension , they have never shared insurance plan until I requested one . I am pretty sure no one will work in this conditions.

5) No relocation was provided by employer when I had to relocate 1500 miles for the client

6) Employer took 5000 dollars for my H1b

7) I had no base pay increase in last 3 years . Infact my W2 pays are approximately mentioned below.

2011 - 25K ( For 7 months)

2012 - 36K ( Accounting for loss of pay for my visa rejections)

2013 - 45K ( Full year on H1b)

2014 - Same trend as last year

8) I feel that my employer is preventing me to go on direct payroll of prime vendor . As I faced this issue multiple times last year.

9) I feel that my W2 pay is less even on my OPT time period for same job , not sure if there are any laws that protect an OPT student . I feel that most of the employers exploit this loop hole.

Originally posted by rajeshmurari View Post
    Can anyone help me understand how stronger is my case and when and how to react on this. Should I start filling WH4 before it is too late , or wait as I am planning to go to vacation in India for December.

Background :

I started working for a Desi consultant in Virginia as soon as I graduated in May 2011. I was in OPT and the offer letter stated that my base pay is 51K and not major benefits are detailed.

Employer immediately placed me in a Forture 100 company as a QA analyst . There was a prime vendor between my employer and client . After joining I slowly worked through the system and started working in lead/managerial roles ( no direct reports) and working on project execution , facilitation , process compliance verification roles .

I was on OPT and I was never worried about my pay for almost an year , then I was a bit concerned and approached my employer on phone about my pay concern ( Since he was from same region in India we use to have conversations on phone). I never got any positive response all I hear is Prime vendor not paying him well , so he cannot afford to give me any benefits.

In April 2012 he filed for my H1b and took 5000 USD by cash and the exchange happened in a suspicious way . There might be some proof that he got the money , but it will be a weak case .

I left to India as there was a query on OPT , and at the USCIS office they recommended me to take that action to not go out of status till october 2012. I never recieved any pay as I was not working at client .

Then I went to India and had tons of trouble in getting my h1b stamped and my employer did not help me in this aspect. I had to work a lot convincing people at my client to get the client letter and finally my H1b was approved to be started in October 2013.

I landed in USA on October 2012 and started working with the same client again on my H1b . In May 2013 I had to relocate to a different facility for the same client to work in a remote mode ( Employer did file LCA for this ) .

Here are my concerns .

1) My W2 pay in 2013 is 5K less than wage agreed upon in LCA ( Initial and amendment filed) .

2) I reviewed LCA to see why prevailing wage is low , and I see that my job level is selected a 1 , and I am sure that the role I am performing is 3 or 4 . So , my employer provided false information on LCA.

3) Even though I am salaried as per LCA , I never get consistent pay on my paystubs , it is somewhat proportional to my timesheets for work .

4) I get very minimal benefits , no 401k , no pension , they have never shared insurance plan until I requested one . I am pretty sure no one will work in this conditions.

5) No relocation was provided by employer when I had to relocate 1500 miles for the client

6) Employer took 5000 dollars for my H1b

7) I had no base pay increase in last 3 years . Infact my W2 pays are approximately mentioned below.

2011 - 25K ( For 7 months)

2012 - 36K ( Accounting for loss of pay for my visa rejections)

2013 - 45K ( Full year on H1b)

2014 - Same trend as last year

8) I feel that my employer is preventing me to go on direct payroll of prime vendor . As I faced this issue multiple times last year.

9) I feel that my W2 pay is less even on my OPT time period for same job , not sure if there are any laws that protect an OPT student . I feel that most of the employers exploit this loop hole.
    First thing you need to do is find a better employer. Why are you still sticking with this guy just because he is "from same region in India" and you two speak the same language?

Comment

I have a family now and currently the client has allowed me to work from home. This job is the best source to stay togather as both of us have jobs and since I am familiar with what I do , It will be a hard decision to leave my client .... I have been trying to get onto prime vendor payroll ..... if things do not improve after I come back from vacation in India... I will definitely change my job or quit working for sometime.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X