My experience applying for F1 visa renewal via dropbox when on OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience applying for F1 visa renewal via dropbox when on OPT

I have recently received a new F1 visa stamp after submitting my passport through the Dropbox. I just wanted to share my experience and provide some clarity on what "Administrative Processing" is, so that this process is a little easier for other applicants in a similar situation.

Here are some background details:

- I am currently working on the 17 month STEM OPT extention.
    - F1 visa was initially issued for bachelors and I completed it in 4 years

DOCUMENTS: At the dropbox, according to the website, I only had to submit my passport and latest i20, but I also included scanned copies of my OPT EAD card, latest paystub, job offer letter just to be on the safe side. (Normally, dropbox people wont accept any more documents than what is required, but if you insist, they will take additional documents)

Immidiately after submitting I started tracking the visa and passport. Here is what the timeline looked like:

Day 0: Passport: "In Transit to Post" and Visa(CEAC): "No Status"
    Day 1 (afternoon): Passport: "Delivered to Post" and Visa: "Ready"
    Day 2 (morning): Same Status
    Day 2 (afternoon): Passport: "Delivered to Post" and Visa: "Administrative Processing".

The second I saw the "Administrative Processing" I was in shock. I thought that my visa is most likely denied and even if it is approved, it will take a long time. BUT this is completely incorrect. "Administrative Processing" is just a step in the visa process, it doesnt mean 221g!! You will most likely get an email if it did fall into 221g!

Day 3 (morning): same status
    Day 3(afternoon): Visa: "Issued"
    Day 4: Passport: "Ready for pickup", Visa: "Issued"

I went and picked up my passport with the new visa stamp 3 days later.

The bottom line is, if you see Administrative Processing in CAEC tracker, It doesnt at all mean 221g; in fact, I think every passport has to go through Administrative processing. Additionally, if it actually is 221g, you will probably get an email or phone call from the consulate.

GOOD LUCK!

Dedi..

Hi,

Congratulations on getting your visa renewed. I am planning to renew my F1 visa and your information is really helpful. I have few questions regarding the renewal of my visa. Can you please contact me on my email [email protected] if you don't mind. Please any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Dedipya Yelamanchili.

Originally posted by dragonrider View Post
    I have recently received a new F1 visa stamp after submitting my passport through the Dropbox. I just wanted to share my experience and provide some clarity on what "Administrative Processing" is, so that this process is a little easier for other applicants in a similar situation.

Here are some background details:

- I am currently working on the 17 month STEM OPT extention.
    - F1 visa was initially issued for bachelors and I completed it in 4 years

DOCUMENTS: At the dropbox, according to the website, I only had to submit my passport and latest i20, but I also included scanned copies of my OPT EAD card, latest paystub, job offer letter just to be on the safe side. (Normally, dropbox people wont accept any more documents than what is required, but if you insist, they will take additional documents)

Immidiately after submitting I started tracking the visa and passport. Here is what the timeline looked like:

Day 0: Passport: "In Transit to Post" and Visa(CEAC): "No Status"
    Day 1 (afternoon): Passport: "Delivered to Post" and Visa: "Ready"
    Day 2 (morning): Same Status
    Day 2 (afternoon): Passport: "Delivered to Post" and Visa: "Administrative Processing".

The second I saw the "Administrative Processing" I was in shock. I thought that my visa is most likely denied and even if it is approved, it will take a long time. BUT this is completely incorrect. "Administrative Processing" is just a step in the visa process, it doesnt mean 221g!! You will most likely get an email if it did fall into 221g!

Day 3 (morning): same status
    Day 3(afternoon): Visa: "Issued"
    Day 4: Passport: "Ready for pickup", Visa: "Issued"

I went and picked up my passport with the new visa stamp 3 days later.

The bottom line is, if you see Administrative Processing in CAEC tracker, It doesnt at all mean 221g; in fact, I think every passport has to go through Administrative processing. Additionally, if it actually is 221g, you will probably get an email or phone call from the consulate.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Dedi..

Hi,

Congratulations on getting your visa renewed. I am planning to renew my F1 visa and your information is really helpful. I have few questions regarding the renewal of my visa. Can you please contact me on my email [email protected] if you don't mind. Please, any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thank you..

Comment

Need help with f1 renewal too

Can you please contact me too. I am in the same situatuion.
        [email protected]

Comment

F1 visa Renewal rejected

Faced visa interview today and rejected. I had same Visa, got last year for MS in Mathematics at Northern Arizona University. I came back to Bangladesh in May 19,*withdrew my self to the program in September 3rd and did not go back to USA. *Reason was the termination of Assistant-ship due to the poor academic performance. I applied to University of West Florida for MS in Mathematics program, got admission as well as Assistant ship and a graduate scholarship. I shown another $4500 for I-20. My cousin was the sponsor.*

First, I put my documents in Dropbox,but they gave me the passport back without new visa and told to face a new interview. I faced interview but rejected this time. I am not clear why. Could You Please Help me ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X