Green card for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card for kids

I am currently in Mumbai,India. I have been offered a job in US and we are planning to take that up and shift there on H1B. I am having two kids, the elder one being 12 and the younger one being only 6 months old. My empoyer says I might be able to get green card in 5-6 years time. My question is related to a situation, where my daughter continues to study in US under her green card while we return back to India for some reason after obtaining green card, but before getting citizenship, along with my second kid. Would my second child be able to go back after he is above 18 and use his green card status to study there.

If I understand your question correctly, my response would be that Green Card status allows your children to continue any level of school matriculation in the U.S. that they desire.

--Ray B

Originally posted by darshanvartak View Post
    I am currently in Mumbai,India. I have been offered a job in US and we are planning to take that up and shift there on H1B. I am having two kids, the elder one being 12 and the younger one being only 6 months old. My empoyer says I might be able to get green card in 5-6 years time. My question is related to a situation, where my daughter continues to study in US under her green card while we return back to India for some reason after obtaining green card, but before getting citizenship, along with my second kid. Would my second child be able to go back after he is above 18 and use his green card status to study there.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      If I understand your question correctly, my response would be that Green Card status allows your children to continue any level of school matriculation in the U.S. that they desire.

--Ray B
      Thanks for your reply Ray. My concern here is after obtaining greencard if I move back (before getting a citizenship), would my second kid be able to use his green card to re-enter. Coz moving back to India and staying in India for more than a year is as good as abandoning the greencard. Now the question is my second kid who was below 18 when we moved back to India, might like to go back using his green card after he is 18. Would he be allowed to do so?

Comment

So long as the child (holding the Green Card) has not stayed outside the U.S. for a year or more, he will be allowed to reenter the U.S. His age doesn't matter, so long as he is allowed to fly.

--Ray B

Originally posted by darshanvartak View Post
        Thanks for your reply Ray. My concern here is after obtaining greencard if I move back (before getting a citizenship), would my second kid be able to use his green card to re-enter. Coz moving back to India and staying in India for more than a year is as good as abandoning the greencard. Now the question is my second kid who was below 18 when we moved back to India, might like to go back using his green card after he is 18. Would he be allowed to do so?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X