OPT query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT query

My wife started her studies in computer science on H4 Visa in September 2013. We applied for Change of Status (CoS) in October 2013. While out CoS was still under processing, we travelled outside US in December'13, and our application was denied in February'14. My wife is supposed to complete a total of 27 credits to graduate. She took 6 credits in the 1st semester (Sept'13 to Dec'13) on H4 Visa, 9 credits in the 2nd semester (Jan'14 to Apr'14) again on H4 Visa since the original application of CoS was rejected, she took a break in summer semester. We again applied for CoS in May'14 and got it approved in 8th Sept'14. She has currently taken 9 credits in her 3rd semester (Sept'14 to Dec'14) on F1 Visa.

So technically she is left with only 1 course of 3 credits to graduate.

My question is whether we can apply for post-completion OPT in the next semester (i.e. Jan'14). I have heard that we need to complete 2 full consecutive semesters on F1 Visa and only then we are allowed to apply for OPT. Is that true? The college DSO states that we have to take extra 9 units now in order to be eligible for OPT i.e 9 units in Spring semester (Jan'15-Apr'15) and 3 credits in summer semester (May'15-Aug'15) to be allowed to apply for OPT, is that true?

But the following link states that there is no restriction on applying for post-completion OPT -

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X