Forms to submit for green card for my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steph,

I normally include about 9 photos, but there is no set rule about multiple photos.

I think masking the balance amounts on your bank statement is overkill.

--Ray B

Originally posted by steph746 View Post
    Thank you again for your confirmation and advice. I will include a couple of photos. Without creating an entire album, would you say that one recent photo of our family (my wife, myself and our two children) and one recent photo of my wife and I would be sufficient?

Also, I am including a bank account statement. I will definitely black out the account number, but do you think it would be beneficial to leave the balance amounts if fairly substantial or better to black all the numbers out?

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try to get a few photos together then. Since my wife previously had a green card which we abandoned about 9 years ago, should we focus on including photos of us and our children after this date or including photos from our wedding date and onwards would be more advisable?

Comment

it doesn't matter about the chronology of the photos. Compelling photos which demonstrate a relationship will work.

--Ray B

Thanks. I'll try to get a few photos together then. Since my wife previously had a green card which we abandoned about 9 years ago, should we focus on including photos of us and our children after this date or including photos from our wedding date and onwards would be more advisable?

Comment

I understand. Thanks very much.

Just wondering about the procedure...

If everything goes well, and after my wife had an interview at the embassy, what type of visa is issued? Would it be valid for 6 months?

After my wife then enters the US, we would need to continue the Green Card application process and submit an I-864 and I-485?

Comment

Steph,

After receiving an IR-1 spousal visa, which is usually good for 6 months from medical exam date, your wife arrives in the U.S. with temporary (one year) Permanent Resident status. After paying an additional $165 fee, her Green Card arrives at your address a couple of months later. The sponsorship documents (I-864) would already have been submitted to the National Visa Center before her paperwork reached the Embassy.

There is no I-485 and Adjustment of Status for entrants with immigrant visa.

--Ray B

I understand. Thanks very much.

Just wondering about the procedure...

If everything goes well, and after my wife had an interview at the embassy, what type of visa is issued? Would it be valid for 6 months?

After my wife then enters the US, we would need to continue the Green Card application process and submit an I-864 and I-485?

Comment

question

I was wondering my spouse overstays his visa time we are now legally married and I am a U.S. Citizens. Will he be penalized for overstaying when we file for his green card (I-130/I-485/I-785)?

Comment

What visa type did your spouse use to enter the U.S.?

Normally, once the conversion paperwork is received b USCIS, the entrant is protected from adverse adjudication because of an existing visa overstay.

--Ray B

Originally posted by twenty8 View Post
                I was wondering my spouse overstays his visa time we are now legally married and I am a U.S. Citizens. Will he be penalized for overstaying when we file for his green card (I-130/I-485/I-785)?

Comment

A tourist visa b1/b2

Comment

Okay, then his status can be converted, usually without any problems, so long as there is ample evidence of a genuine marital relationship with a U.S. citizen.

Some nonimmigrant visa types cannot be converted, requiring the holder to leave the U.S. and be processed abroad for another type of visa.

--Ray B

Originally posted by twenty8 View Post
                    A tourist visa b1/b2

Comment

Ray b. I must say a huge thank you to you.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                        Steph,

After receiving an IR-1 spousal visa, which is usually good for 6 months from medical exam date, your wife arrives in the U.S. with temporary (one year) Permanent Resident status. After paying an additional $165 fee, her Green Card arrives at your address a couple of months later. The sponsorship documents (I-864) would already have been submitted to the National Visa Center before her paperwork reached the Embassy.

There is no I-485 and Adjustment of Status for entrants with immigrant visa.

--Ray B
                        Hello Ray,

Thank you very much again for all of your replies...

Regarding the I-864, should I be submitting that now? Or that should only be submitted after we are domiciled in the US?

Best regards,

Steph

Comment

The sponsorship docs are submitted to the NVC after your I-130 is approved and afteryou pay the $120 NVC fee (first of 2 fees).

-Ray B

Hello Ray,

Thank you very much again for all of your replies...

Regarding the I-864, should I be submitting that now? Or that should only be submitted after we are domiciled in the US?

Best regards,

Steph

Comment

The sponsorship docs are submitted to the NVC after your I-130 is approved and afteryou pay the $120 NVC fee (first of 2 fees).

-Ray B
                            But the I-864 and other sponsorship documents would just be submitted once my wife enters he US and we are living there together?

Comment

Steph,

You're not understanding what I have been trying to tell you throughout this thread.

If you petition your wife to be processed outside of the U.S., the sponsorship documents (I-864) are submitted to the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire after your wife's I-130 is approved by USCIS.

-Ray B

But the I-864 and other sponsorship documents would just be submitted once my wife enters he US and we are living there together?

Comment

Steph,

You're not understanding what I have been trying to tell you throughout this thread.

If you petition your wife to be processed outside of the U.S., the sponsorship documents (I-864) are submitted to the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire after your wife's I-130 is approved by USCIS.

-Ray B
                                Hello Ray,

I'm sorry for not understanding correctly. I'm just trying to get a grasp on the timing and planning of our move back to the States. Basically, after the I-130 is approved, my wife will be scheduled for an interview at the embassy here in Tokyo and if all goes well, she will receive a spousal visa on that day which is good for about 6 months from the date? After this, there wouldn't be anything else we need to submit in order for my wife to travel to the US? All other documents could be submitted from the US?

Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X