Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport renewal and name change on F1 visa/EAD card

Hi

I have had a search through the threads but cannot find an answer to my specific query and was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this.

I am a British citizen on an F1 visa in the US and am due to graduate in December 2014. I currently have an EAD card which lasts until March 2015 and am applying for my OPT permit now. My husband and I got married in May but I have yet to change my name on my passport, although I have changed my drivers license and social security card. My husband is also a British citizen on an L1-B visa.

My passport expires in July 2015 and my question is should I change my name and renew this now or wait as long as possible? I am unsure what happens to my visa when I get a new passport, will it still contain a copy of my current visa when I receive my new one? Do I have to apply to change the name on my visa separately or is this done automatically? To make things more complicated, my husband's work are applying for Green Card for us now and we should have these by next summer.

Also, my current EAD card is in my maiden name. The school advised me I must apply for my OPT EAD card in my maiden name because this is the name currently in my passport. Will it make things more complicated if I apply for my OPT EAD card in my maiden name and then change my name on my passport? I am currently employed and have no plans to change employer any time soon.

Or is this all a mute point because of our Green Card application?

Hope this makes sense, I'm getting confused with all the name change requirements and realize now I shouldn't have bothered changing my DL and SSN now!

Thanks in advance

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X