I am still awaiting a decision on my green card and have been told it could be up to 240 days. I am married to an American woman but have a 12 year old son back in the UK and we are desperate to bring to the USA. We have been told my wife, as a US citizen can petition for him as a step-son and that we can bring him here and apply for adjustment of status. But that is a lengthy process and we do not know how this will affect his rights to go to school here. Will my son be able to attend school in the USA while his I-495 is processed, or can he not attend school until he has a green card?