Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family visa - F1 not moving, how long to opt-out to F2b ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family visa - F1 not moving, how long to opt-out to F2b ?

My daughter's application was filed under F2b when we were still permanent residents. That time the waiting time for citizens unmarried children over 21yrs were shorter than that of permanent residents. We became citizens in 2013, and our daughter was bumped in to F1 with no change to priority date. Now I am finding that the F1 is stagnant and F2b is moving faster with a shorter waitinng period. I read that under a specific provision of the Child Status and Protection Act (CSPA), the applicant can opt-out or request a change of status back to F2b from F1. Is there anyone out there who did this ? How long does it take to get this transfer ? I am thinking to wait a little longer to see whether F1 will start moving faster to request for an opt-out. I called the NVC and they told me usually the F1 moves faster and has a shorter waiting period but couldnt help me sort out my problem.

Thank you for your ideas and advise.

Same question

Hello,

I am in the same situation as well. Couple of questions:
    1. Did you notify NVC when you became Citizens ? If yes, how ? Did they confirm that the preference moved to F1 from F2B ?
    2. Also, do you mind sharing your priority date ? Mine is May 22nd, 2008. Still haven't received any communication from NVC regarding the next steps.

I have engaged a lawyer and he will get back to me by Wednesday next week. Will reply to this as soon as I have more info. Will really appreciate if you can share your experience above.

Thanks,

Comment

Hello liberal_always,

Thank you for replying. I wrote to the NVC with a copy of the naturalization certificate as soon as we became citizens. They replied and sent a letter confirming the move from F2B to F1. Her priority date is July 29th, 2009.

The current priority dates for F2B are Feb 22nd, 2008. If your lawyer manages to get you back to F2B from F1, please let me know. It will be greately appreciated.

Regards,

Comment

F1 -question : How to move back to F2b from F1

Hi to all US Citizens out there who have children over 21 and unmarried waiting in different countries.

Do you know how long it takes to opt-out and get back to F2bm because 'Permanent Residents unmarried children over 21' category is moving faster and has a shorter waiting period than Citizen's right now ?

Comment

Hi Srie,

I was able to finally get through on the call with the NVC and they basically asked me to write a letter / email to them stating that we would like to retain the F2B category instead of the conversion to F1. I sent them the letter, haven't received any confirmation yet on this..!

Also, even though the current date is 22nd Feb 2008 and my priority date is May 22nd, 2008 I haven't received any notifications/letters yet.

Does anyone know whether they only start processing after the priority date is current ?

Couple of things to note that might be helpful to others:
          1. There is no automatic conversion of category from F2B to F1 when anyone naturalizes. NVC has no idea and they need to be informed. Eventually they would know when they start reviewing the application. But when F1 is moving faster than F2B, please ensure to change your category by sending a written request.

2. Opt out provision exists and to do that one needs to send out a request to NVC.

3. Email doesn't quite work. I have sent multiple emails and haven't received any responses yet !

Originally posted by Srie View Post
          My daughter's application was filed under F2b when we were still permanent residents. That time the waiting time for citizens unmarried children over 21yrs were shorter than that of permanent residents. We became citizens in 2013, and our daughter was bumped in to F1 with no change to priority date. Now I am finding that the F1 is stagnant and F2b is moving faster with a shorter waitinng period. I read that under a specific provision of the Child Status and Protection Act (CSPA), the applicant can opt-out or request a change of status back to F2b from F1. Is there anyone out there who did this ? How long does it take to get this transfer ? I am thinking to wait a little longer to see whether F1 will start moving faster to request for an opt-out. I called the NVC and they told me usually the F1 moves faster and has a shorter waiting period but couldnt help me sort out my problem.

Comment

Hi liberal_always,

Thanks for the reply. When we became citizens F1 was moving faster so we wrote to them to change the category to F1. Now I see that it is lagging behnd and just moves half a month in a calendar month. My priority dates are in 2009, so wondering how long it will take for them to put the category back to F2B, if at all if it is allowed. Will you please let me know when they reply to your letter, so I will have an idea of how long it takes.

Thanks and all the best,

Srie

Originally posted by liberal_always View Post
            Hi Srie,

I was able to finally get through on the call with the NVC and they basically asked me to write a letter / email to them stating that we would like to retain the F2B category instead of the conversion to F1. I sent them the letter, haven't received any confirmation yet on this..!

Also, even though the current date is 22nd Feb 2008 and my priority date is May 22nd, 2008 I haven't received any notifications/letters yet.

Does anyone know whether they only start processing after the priority date is current ?

1. There is no automatic conversion of category from F2B to F1 when anyone naturalizes. NVC has no idea and they need to be informed. Eventually they would know when they start reviewing the application. But when F1 is moving faster than F2B, please ensure to change your category by sending a written request.

2. Opt out provision exists and to do that one needs to send out a request to NVC.

3. Email doesn't quite work. I have sent multiple emails and haven't received any responses yet !

Comment

Hello liberal_always,

Thank you for replying. I wrote to the NVC with a copy of the naturalization certificate as soon as we became citizens. They replied and sent a letter confirming the move from F2B to F1. Her priority date is July 29th, 2009.

The current priority dates for F2B are Feb 22nd, 2008. If your lawyer manages to get you back to F2B from F1, please let me know. It will be greately appreciated.

Regards,

Hi,

My son's priority date is September 2008. when I became citizen, i moved it to Citizens category. Please kindly inform me also, when you are able to move back to F2B category from F1 category. Thanks in advance.

Siva

Comment

f1 to f2b?

Hi Srie,

Dear friend i have same problem please let me know procedure for f1 to f2b transfer my priority date is 1 may 2008. i email to nvc but still didnt get replay. so please let me know procedure. also u engage with lawyer so he solve yr problem let me know waiting for yr replay

Comment

Originally posted by nidhi264 View Post
                  Dear friend i have same problem please let me know procedure for f1 to f2b transfer my priority date is 1 may 2008. i email to nvc but still didnt get replay. so please let me know procedure. also u engage with lawyer so he solve yr problem let me know waiting for yr replay
                  Hello, Since yours and my priority date is so close, lets keep in touch. I haven't received any letter from NVC confirming the transfer. But please go ahead and send them a letter stating that you would like to opt-out of being in the F1 category. The sooner you do this the better.

Thanks,

Comment

nidhi

Hello, Since yours and my priority date is so close, lets keep in touch. I haven't received any letter from NVC confirming the transfer. But please go ahead and send them a letter stating that you would like to opt-out of being in the F1 category. The sooner you do this the better.

Thanks,
                    Thanks u so much for yr replay.
                    i wrote twice email to nvc but no replay from nvc yet...
                    now i already talk with lawyer & he told me it is possible to convert file & his fees $900.
                    do u think so should it be work? i just want yr opinion.

Comment

Its been 15 months now after got an email from USCIS telling current status is "Post Decision Activity" and your status will be confirmed..

Comment

I am in the same situation as well. Several times I wrote to USCIS, also have been in local office, however no success. This situation is very common for the people from Filipino, They simply send written notification to the attorney general in US embassy in Manila and after his approval the category changes from F1 to F2B. However I did not find information about where to notify if the beneficiary is from other country (worldwide category). If somone has done this change please let us know. I strongly appreciate your response.
                        Thank you

Comment

Thanks,
                          Hi,

It is good to know that we can "opt-out" of F1 and move to F2B. I see that your priority dates are about to be current and wish you luck. Mine is July 2009 and I assume if the dates move at the same speed it will become current in about 6-8 months time. My worry is how long the NVC will take to respond and do the opt out in their records. Please post here when you receive a reponse from them, so we will know what to do and when. Thank you very much, I really appreacite every ones participation here since it gives us hope and strength to know that we are not alone in this struggle.

Srie

Comment

Hi,

It is good to know that we can "opt-out" of F1 and move to F2B. I see that your priority dates are about to be current and wish you luck. Mine is July 2009 and I assume if the dates move at the same speed it will become current in about 6-8 months time. My worry is how long the NVC will take to respond and do the opt out in their records. Please post here when you receive a reponse from them, so we will know what to do and when. Thank you very much, I really appreacite every ones participation here since it gives us hope and strength to know that we are not alone in this struggle.

Srie
                            My friend i wrote e mail to NVC for file conversation ( F1 TO F2B ) nvc wrote i have to contact DHS for this matter. now my priority date is current as a F2b .
                            just week ago i hand over my case to lawyer let's see .. whatever happens i definitely inform u my friend.

Comment

I am a B1/B2 visa holder ......

My name is Rahat . I am a B1/B2 visa holder from bangladesh and got it in february,14 . I went to usa in July,14 and stayed there for almost 3 months. After i get return from there i am willing to study there and thats why i want to apply for the F1 visa from my country . My question is that , Is there Any possibility to get regected from the embassy or is there any possibility to cancel my B1 visa ??? and antother question is that is there any gurantey to get the F1 visa because i am a B1/B2 visa holder ...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X