Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance of rejection?

Hello,
    I'm currently a Masters student halfway through my 2 year degree and would like to apply for a F1 visa renewal sometime this winter when I return home for a visit. I havent left the US in 5 years and was wondering if this would be a cause for concern. I still have 2 semesters (1 year) left in my Masters and would like a renewal now as I plan to travel outside the US this upcoming summer for school-related work that will further my studies. My fear alongside rejection is not being able to return to finish my Masters.

A little bit of background: My reasons involve taking summer classes for 2 summers, traveling/moving cross country for 1 where i did an off campus program that required an internship which then lead to a job offer (so OPT for a year, and it was difficult to leave when i was working, of course). My f1 visa expired earlier this year (jan 2014) when i began my Masters. I have siblings who studied in the US, but they have returned home. I am financially funded by a scholarship from my Government, but there is no rule requiring me to return home, it is just assumed. When i did have time to travel a little bit, part of my initial goal was to visit as many US cities as i could, and I can say that i've at least conquered parts of the West, all of the East coast and MidWest and part of the South- its cheaper than flying back, and was a great experience but i doubt this is something I would be able to expand upon during my interview. I actually don't plan to live in the US long term as after my degree I would like to work for NGOs in developing countries helping conflict ridden societies (a mixture of my undergrad and masters degree). However, strong ties to my home country is needed... not to others and to me, although there is a need there, my focus is on war and conflict stricken zones and so i know that my knowledge could be more beneficial elsewhere.

Once again, my major concern is the 5 year stay with no departure. Thoughts on individuals who know the process?

Originally posted by sp4rkster View Post
    Hello,
    I'm currently a Masters student halfway through my 2 year degree and would like to apply for a F1 visa renewal sometime this winter when I return home for a visit. I havent left the US in 5 years and was wondering if this would be a cause for concern. I still have 2 semesters (1 year) left in my Masters and would like a renewal now as I plan to travel outside the US this upcoming summer for school-related work that will further my studies. My fear alongside rejection is not being able to return to finish my Masters.

A little bit of background: My reasons involve taking summer classes for 2 summers, traveling/moving cross country for 1 where i did an off campus program that required an internship which then lead to a job offer (so OPT for a year, and it was difficult to leave when i was working, of course). My f1 visa expired earlier this year (jan 2014) when i began my Masters. I have siblings who studied in the US, but they have returned home. I am financially funded by a scholarship from my Government, but there is no rule requiring me to return home, it is just assumed. When i did have time to travel a little bit, part of my initial goal was to visit as many US cities as i could, and I can say that i've at least conquered parts of the West, all of the East coast and MidWest and part of the South- its cheaper than flying back, and was a great experience but i doubt this is something I would be able to expand upon during my interview. I actually don't plan to live in the US long term as after my degree I would like to work for NGOs in developing countries helping conflict ridden societies (a mixture of my undergrad and masters degree). However, strong ties to my home country is needed... not to others and to me, although there is a need there, my focus is on war and conflict stricken zones and so i know that my knowledge could be more beneficial elsewhere.

Once again, my major concern is the 5 year stay with no departure. Thoughts on individuals who know the process?
    I think you should travel out even tho its for one or two weeks then come bk into the usa before you travel out to where you want to renew you visa

Comment

Sorry, your answer confused me. My plan is to fly back to my home country next week, where i have a 20 day break from my Masters and renew my visa (processing time if approved is 5 days). I havent left the country in 5 years, and so i'm wondering if i should be concerned that i could get rejected because of the fact that i havent left the US in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sp4rkster View Post
        Sorry, your answer confused me. My plan is to fly back to my home country next week, where i have a 20 day break from my Masters and renew my visa (processing time if approved is 5 days). I havent left the country in 5 years, and so i'm wondering if i should be concerned that i could get rejected because of the fact that i havent left the US in 5 years.
        to be honest don't be. At least you are trying to renew from your home country not somewhere else. The thing to be worried about is d question of why u haven't returned home in 5yrs. You have to makeup something reasonable and convincing to say.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X